It is currently October 20th, 2020, 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Load capacity?
PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 11:47 am 

FT, not you definitely fit into a capacity that canoe designers don't consider when designing canoes. Hey John have you ever designed a canoe to carry bags of gavel mix?

PK

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 1:16 pm 

pknoerr wrote:
Hey John have you ever designed a canoe to carry bags of gavel mix?

I believe that is called a barge. :D

cheers
dave

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 2:37 pm 

Quote:
I believe that is called a barge.

Gawd, paddling a barge must have been a lot of fun... what is the block coefficient?

:D

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 2:39 pm 

ice-breaker wrote:
I believe that is called a barge. :D

Hey Dave, I'll let you paddle what you want to paddle, I think I'll skip the gravel mix hauling craft regardless of what it's called. :lol:

PK

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 1:42 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
IIRC, Prospectors were named because they were supposed to be good at carrying bags of rocks from mining claims staked out by prospectors, along with all the other heavy gear needed to be transported out into the bush, and to and from the work site.

I wonder how many Prospectors were sold to actual prospectors in the 20th Century?

Maybe a case of Chestnut not knowing their customer base very well?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 2:36 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Quote:

Gawd, paddling a barge must have been a lot of fun... what is the block coefficient?

I believe the block coefficient is only applicable when carrying concrete or other blocks. :roll: :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 2:55 pm 

wotrock wrote:
frozentripper wrote:
Quote:

I believe the block coefficient is only applicable when carrying concrete or other blocks. :roll: :doh:

I guess I was really wrong when I had you pegged for an engineer.... :lol:

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Desig ... s/read/291

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 3:39 pm 

BK,

Quote:
I wonder how many Prospectors were sold to actual prospectors in the 20th Century?

Maybe a case of Chestnut not knowing their customer base very well?

The name probably suggested their capability of carrying heavy loads more than anything else, meaning they could be filled with supplies, rocks, and any gear needed, with enough carrying capacity and freeboard to be able to take waves and whitewater without danger of swamping.

Ken Solway who wrote a book on Chestnut canoes, writes that prospectors and other northern residents depended on the Prospector's heavy load capacity to carry their freight... quotes from his website:

Quote:
The Prospectors

Prospectors were designed to provide wilderness paddlers with the best of the fast Cruisers and the ever-faithful Freighters. Being excellent movers that can carry a party’s outfit for weeks on end... these canoes were specifically designed with a great deal of rocker to carry tremendous loads. Most modern paddlers are no longer carrying these types of weights, especially when a great many portages are encountered. Yet if only lightly loaded the canoes ride high and can be extremely difficult to control in strong winds.

...Begun in Fredericton as the sideline of a large hardware business, the canoe company set up by the sons Harry and Henry Chestnut struck gold when they received, in 1905, the Canadian patent for the wood and canvas canoe. This launched them into an international business with over 50 different models.... Prospectors and others exploring or living in the far north depended upon the Prospector and Freight models to get around.

http://www.eagle.ca/~chestnut/cat.htm
http://www.eagle.ca/~chestnut/history.htm

It's been referred to as a work canoe used during the history of the Canadian north, like this Bear Mountain description:

Quote:
CHESTNUT PROSPECTOR - 16'

This "workhorse of the North" was designed in Canada to meet the specific needs of the prospector - good maneuverability through whitewater and wilderness, with capacity to carry substantial loads. The Prospector features a flattened, shallow arch hull with its fullness carried into the bow and stern, substantial depth amidships to maintain freeboard, and deepened ends to keep paddlers and gear dry. The rockered keel line makes it very maneuverable in whitewater.

Pierre Pulling in his 1950s book on canoeing also describes Prospectors being used for freight, able to carry heavy loads, and the best choice for a variety of purposes.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 4:35 pm 

Quote:
Prospectors were designed to provide wilderness paddlers with the best of the fast Cruisers and the ever-faithful Freighters. Being excellent movers that can carry a party’s outfit for weeks on end... these canoes were specifically designed with a great deal of rocker to carry tremendous loads.

Not to detract from FT's quality quoting. I'm not sure why Ken Solway would say that the canoes are specifically designed with a great deal of rocker to carry tremendous loads. Maneuverability maybe even maintaining maneuveraility when loaded, YES! Load carrying as quoted? I don't buy it.

PK

PK

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 6:07 pm 

I don't know exactly what Ken meant by that comment. The real question is.....

What the hell happened to his Chestnut forms?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 6:29 pm 

Quote:
... these canoes were specifically designed with a great deal of rocker to carry tremendous loads.

He's probably referring to the rocker giving the ability to turn easily in whitewater while carrying a heavy load.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 8:03 pm 

FT,

There is no doubt that the Prospector design is well suited to carrying heavy loads on moving water and has been used in the manner you describe using it yourself for almost a century. I just think it's funny that so many folks think of it as being designed by and for real prospectors, when in fact, the last great gold rush was in the Klondike at the turn of the century and the first Chestnut Prospector didn't come off the mold until 1923.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 9:34 pm 

BK, Prospecting need not be "Gold Prospecting" and it need not happen in association with a "Rush" either. Prospecting occurs commonly today. When the price of gold, or other precious minerals increase prospecting for minerals made of these metals increases. It's quite common in northern Canada (especially Nunavut, NWT and Yukon) for prospecting to still be reasonably commonplace. There has been a fair amount of prospecting in northern Canada for diamonds over the last 10 years.

To me I've never really thought of the Prospector with respect to exploring specifically for minerals. The word "Prospect" while often associated with minerals need not necessarily involve the search of minerals, but rather the act of exploration, which in a canoe often involves the need to carry a large load.

PK

PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 7:01 am 

BK,

Quote:
I just think it's funny that so many folks think of it as being designed by and for real prospectors, when in fact, the last great gold rush was in the Klondike at the turn of the century and the first Chestnut Prospector didn't come off the mold until 1923.

It's just a name... there are canoes around called Trappers but they weren't designed specifically to be used on traplines, instead the name probably implies use in the bush and capacity enough to equal a canoe filled with furs and supplies.

Prospecting is still going strong in Canada... anybody can get a license, stake out a claim, and do some drilling and blasting. It's even been done often enough in southern Ontario so that the laws are being changed to restrict it and reduce complaints. In the north, aboriginal communities will now have some say where prospectors can and can't go, since the old laws allowed them easy access almost anywhere.

Motorized vehicles are more likely to be used these days instead of canoes... I know a prospector type near here who gets gold fever every once in a while and stakes out a claim where there could be something waiting to be discovered. Guess what the name of his canoe is, although he doesn't actually use it for most of the heavy gear he takes out there.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 7:12 am 

pknoerr wrote:
To me I've never really thought of the Prospector with respect to exploring specifically for minerals. The word "Prospect" while often associated with minerals need not necessarily involve the search of minerals, but rather the act of exploration, which in a canoe often involves the need to carry a large load.

OK, OK... I concede guys.

When cast beneath such a broad umbrella, I guess we're all prospectors.

As for me, I prospect for trout. :wink: