It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ABS fix for Royalex??
PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 1:56 pm 

Hi everybody,

I've tried searching for ABS relaminating, recoating, etc. and just found the ABS/Acetone fix approach for recoating/relaminating a royalex boat.

Has anyone tried just applying another sheet of ABS? I have located a source that sells 4'x8' - 1/8" thick sheets of ABS and thought that with a heat gun and some ABS cement, I can simply apply another layer to it. I know it will add some weight, but I could live with that.

Has anyone tried this??

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 3:16 pm 

I glued in a thin ABS sheet to the inside of my ww solo boat, which was getting hairline cracks on the inside around the saddle and anchors. I used it as an alternative to Kevlar or s-glass, which always seems too brittle in those high-flex areas. I did a big patch and smaller patch on top of that. Used the 3M 2-part urethane adhesive.

It's worked well, I'd do it again. In fact, I might do it as a preventative measure on a new boat before I outfit it.

I haven't seen it used for external repairs though. It would probably get ripped off, and I'm not sure how easily it would stay bent to the curves. How thin an ABS sheet can you get?

Try it and let us know.

PY.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 11:58 am 

Is this an actual ABS sheet or a typical sandwich?
ABS by itself is very susceptible to UV damage. That's why it's the middle part of the sandwich construction on Royalex boats wiith vinyl skins on the outside and the inside.

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 1:21 pm 

Good point Mel,

I'm assuming the "co-extruded multilayer ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) sheet products" are what I'm looking for, but I'm out of my element on this.

The link to the company & product is;

http://www.sterlingpromotions.ca/ABSG-Sheet.html

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:53 am 

Hard to say from that. If UV inhibitors are added it has a fair to good UV resistance but if not, it's poor. The link below gives more info for the technically minded.

http://www.grantadesign.com/education/ABS.htm

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 9:19 am 

If you're talking whole sheets of ABS for repair, then S-glass, Kevlar, and epoxy get to look like a good alternative.

One of the best uses for ABS slurry has been to rebuild thickness on the chines of some Esquif whitewater canoes. By analogy, ABS slurry might work well to rebuild flatwater canoe stems.