It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 11:25 am 

I thought I'd share a couple of boatbuilding resources I came across recently.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The first is a company that will sharpen your old files at a fraction of the original cost. They use a proprietary abrasive slurry to carefully remove the metal at the back of the teeth. 1-2 sharpenings are usually possible. I was somewhat skeptical, but after investigating it a bit I found that they are a huge resource for companies like Lockheed-Martin, etc. I'm sure these big cats wouldn't waste their dough on a useless service.

You just send your files in (call first - they are extremely picky about how they want them shipped) and they will bill you after they send them back. They inspect each file face after they are done (probably using an optical comparator), and if that face is rejected, they cover it in red Dykem for future reference and charge you a very small service charge (like 49 cents or something) and the file will still be a hell of a lot better than it was to begin with... just not perfect.

They are a source for the superb and hard to find random-toothed Nicholson #49 & #50 cabinet rasps (try one and you'll know what I mean :wink: ) at a very good price, considering that they subject each new rasp they sell to the same process, so they are "better than new" when you get one.

Having been in this for many years, they know where all the files are being made, what the good old ones are, etc. They have a few of a very special file (I'll tell you what it is after I've satisfied my thirst 8) ) that is no longer made, and you can give them a wish list of files you need/desire and they will see if they have them or locate them if they don't.

I'll be sending in my first batch in the next couple of weeks, one of which will be my prized #49 which is just a tad dull at this point after over 20 years of use. While I'm at it, I plan to finally purchase a #50 (fine) after years of passing on it. If they deliver as good as their claims, I will be scouring the antique stores for possible candidates. At as little as .18/inch for the service, how can you go wrong?

BOGGS TOOL & FILE SHARPENING COMPANY
14100 ORANGE AVENUE
PARAMOUNT, CALIFORNIA 90723
PHONE (562) 634-1081
FAX (562) 634-0839
OUTSIDE LOS ANGELES
(800) 547-5244

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looking for that ideal paint or varnish brush but just can't find it? Well, try Torrington Brush Works. They'll custom make it for you.

The oldest and only custom brush works in the U.S., they offer a dazzling array of brushes, and these will likely fit your needs, but they still offer the service of custom brush making.

I am interested in getting a few of their badger hair brushes for varnish work. These are the real deal, not those faux badger with the stripe across the hair. That kind are only regular bristle with a dyed stripe. Real badger hair brushes flare out substantially wider than the ferrule (think old fashioned shaving brush) because of the flagged tips.

Torrington offers both 1/1/2" and 2" as a standard badger brush, but I want a 3" one, so they are going to make me one (I'll probably get all three eventually). These are the best varnish brushes money can buy. A bit pricey, perhaps, but after all that work and care you lavished on your canoe, why compromise on the one thing that will set it apart from the masses?

Torrington Brush Works, Inc.
4377 Independence Court
Sarasota, Florida 34234
Telephone: 1-800-262-7874, 941-355-1499
Fax: 1-800-528-0109
Email: mail@torringtonbrush.com