It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 7:40 pm 

... with a boat inside it.

Well, I finally got Lady BK her FreeStyle canoe... a nice little Loon Works "Nakoma" made by master canoe builder Tom MacKenzie in wood and... drop cloth?

This is the very same canoe that Mark and Becky Molina won National Championships with back in the day. Mark sold it to a guy in Louisiana whose wife no longer used it. It was stored under a porch over an acid soil and the brass tacks turned into little voltaic cells and blew holes in the Dacron!

It made its way to South Carolina (the builder's home state), Tom brought it to the Midwest FreeStyle Symposium in Ohio and my friend Ellen brought it from there to her home in Rochester, NY where we picked it up on Sunday. Tom put a temporary skin on it for me so Lady BK could paddle it until I get around to re-skinning it. I'm told it inspired laughter everywhere it went.

Interesting look at the planking layout of a wood/canvas canoe. This is usually somewhat disguised by the internal rib structure when the boat is finished.

I thought it to be an interesting and cheap alternative to re-canvasing a canoe in order to try it out in a hurry. Maybe I'll leave it this way, just put duct tape on any tears that develop. That may take a while on a FreeStyle boat. Lady BK can take it to the AFS next summer, and when folks ask what's going on with it, we can say, "Yeah, you know... we did suspect there was something not quite right about it."

BTW, it's amazing how tippy this boat is compared to it's big brother the "Aria". I paddled an Aria for three days without once feeling uneasy in it. I could easily heel it to the rail without losing my balance. I tried the Nakoma last night and I didn't get 10' from shore before bringing it back. It is only a foot shorter and a mere inch narrower at the waterline than the Aria, and yet, it is totally unpaddleable by me at my size and skill level.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 9:21 pm 

It does look pretty round. I can't kneel low enough anymore for a boat like that.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 9:26 pm 

Not original. Back around 2000 Tom was toting around a geodesic framed Nakoma that weiged 17 lbs.

It was covered in heavy duty plastic..kind of a la skin on frame boat.

Yes as you learned, size matters :rofl:

The builders home state when THAT boat was built was New Jersey. 30 minutes from the GW Bridge. I might have helped on it (look for tacks that missed the ribs :oops: ) The serial number gives the date of manufacture but its under the inwale and you have to break your neck to find it. Its woodburned in.

Come on you have to make it nice for Lady BK.

There actually is plenty of room as the kneeling thwart can be hung high if you have size 13 feet. But most owners of size 13 feet prefer the larger Aria.. I own a husband who owns size 13 feet and an Aria.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 10:29 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
The serial number gives the date of manufacture but its under the inwale and you have to break your neck to find it. Its woodburned in.

Good to know. I'm told it was a very early one. I'll have a look, but I'll save my neck and use a light and mirror (cheap guitar repairman's trick).

Quote:
Come on you have to make it nice for Lady BK.

I know, I know... you're absolutely right.

Do you know if that Krylon "Fusion" paint adheres to polyethylene sheeting? :P

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2009, 8:40 am 

You know, that drop cloth has just about the camo pattern I'm looking for on my Explorer duck boat "rebuild". Perhaps Lady BK wants to take up the shotgun, and you can leave it as is. Although I don't think you'll be able to carry a lot of decoys, given your comments about its capacity.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2009, 9:10 am 

Yes.

I am thinking of wrapping my husband in plastic sheeting for his next paint outing. That way I dont have to deal with the paint clothes that are standing in the corner.

I have always wanted to spatter paint my boat. Background of white and spatter paint all sorts of colors.

Is Cecconite in its future?

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2009, 12:00 pm 

native brookie wrote:
You know, that drop cloth has just about the camo pattern I'm looking for on my Explorer duck boat "rebuild". Perhaps Lady BK wants to take up the shotgun, and you can leave it as is. Although I don't think you'll be able to carry a lot of decoys, given your comments about its capacity.

Never mind the weight of the decoys, a single shot from a 12 ga. magnum shell will likely tip her over. :doh:

Actually, the plastic is clear, it's the boat that looks like that. It's had a series of minor misfortunes that required body filler here and there to fair it out, but I got it at a ridiculously cheap price for so fine a boat and it will cover up nicely when I get around to it this winter.

Last time I was visiting the boys at Placid Boatworks, they were attempting to mold camo cloth right into the infused hull. Customer is a local DEC Ranger who has done them lots of favors in the past, so I guess this boat was payback for them. Don't know how it came out, but if all went well it is now an infused layer right beneath the clear gel coat.

littleredcanoe wrote:
Is Cecconite in its future?

Oh yeah. Cheaper, easier to install and fill, and much lighter. No sense messing with real canvas on this one.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2009, 1:16 am 

Egads, the BK's are getting serious about drilling in the waters of the Far North.

And just what solo boat will Mr. BK be paddling at the next freestyle symposium -- the one in Jacksonville?

Not to mention the absurd boat thoughts I have been having. The only thing that may restore me to rationality is if BK makes a Wildfire stripper and leases it to me for five years, after which I will return it in near mint condition.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2009, 12:10 am 

Well my canoe spent a good chunk of summer acting as a paint rack for deck and fence boards. Green canoe now has some of that faster red splashed onto it. I like the camo / tablecloth look better though.