It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 9:51 am 

I like what RHaslam did with a Winters Quetico by increaseing the spacing to make a 20 foot stripper,beautiful boat. But I go back and forth between adding station vs adding spacing. What are the thoughts on this pro/con? Which would give a "fuller" boat for max capacity? OR would there really be a big difference? *huh?* Help is neede from you builders out there. Maybe Mr Winters will through his thoughts our way?
CB

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 10:30 am 

Adding stations will mean that that the extra stations will have to be shaped properly, otherwise lines will not be fair and there will be hollows and lumps that spoil the smooth lines in the plans.

For greater fullness on a larger canoe, John Winters could design a larger version for you... see the info at http://www.greenval.com

Another way could be to scale up the values in offset tables by some percentage, along with the spacing between stations (see the values in the offset tables in Canoecraft).

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 10:46 am 

Depends on what you are looking for in the finished product. I'm all about doing things quickly and cheaply. John had recommended increasing the width of the 20 footer, but I didn't want to make new forms. The result is a large very fast tripping canoe.
However, my intention was to build it as a family canoe for extended tripping, so I should have taken John's advice and widened it out. However, it's still a great canoe, and will hold seven barrels with two people

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 11:28 am 

It's not so easy to just add station molds. You really need to loft the boat out full size in three dimensions and take your extra stations from the drawing in order to avoid flat spots and kinks in the lines.

Adirondack guideboat makers often did what you are speaking of by adding an extra "0" station (or more) at the center to make a longer boat, but to my eye this practice leaves a lot to be desired. It makes the center of the boat look flatter than the rest of the boat and adds nothing to the width.

I tried adding an extra center station in a boat I built, but temporarily clamping a couple of strips in place and sighting down the length of the boat was enough to convince me to increase the spacing instead.

If you want to explore this, one thing you might try is to leave the space where you want to add a wider station empty and set up the rest of the molds. Temporarily nail several 1/2 x 1/2" battens along the length of the molds on one side. These will quite naturally spring out wider at the missing station than the rest of the molds are.

Now take your time and fit in a piece of cardboard until it is touching all of the battens at once. Then run a string to determine the center line of the canoe. Make marks on the cardboard where each batten touches, at the center line and also at the baseline on the strongback.

Remove the cardboard and transfer these marks onto a clean sheet of paper that is placed onto a piece of 1/2" plywood (or whatever you used for your other station molds). Draw a line between the base line and center line marks with a straight edge, then drive small finishing nails into each mark where the battens touched. Use a flexible batten (Lexan is tops as it won't break no matter how much you bend it) to bend around the nails and strike a line against the batten. You now have a half profile for your new station mold.

Transfer this line onto the plywood, then flip it over to get a perfectly matching outline on the other side. The result will be a new station mold that is both wider and perfectly fair with the other molds.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 12:36 pm 

Increase the plans by ,say 3-5% then add spacing? Try to keep it as true to original as possible? This would also give 3-5% added spacing before you start the new added spacing.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2009, 1:37 pm 

You can get John's plans from www.greenval.com in digital format.....perhaps it is possible to increase the size by a few percentages before printing, and then space the forms correspondingly...sounds like an interesting thing to do. I can't remember the exact spacing I increased mine from, but I think it was 12.75 instead of 12, so not a huge difference.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 10:12 pm 

Thanks for the help guys. Will try to post the results of this next boat.
CB