It is currently October 20th, 2020, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 12:10 pm 

I am new to the forum. I recently bought a "new" old Peterborough Minetta 15 ft. wood-canvas canoe. The Minetta was produced by Peterborough from 1954 to 1961. It is 33" wide and 12" deep amidships. It weighs 65 pounds. With its narrow beam and fine entry lines, it is a dream to paddle....as has been mentioned here years ago in previous posts by Dan Miller and Rolf Kraiker. I'm looking forward to using this canoe on solo trips and for Canadian style paddling....perhaps even canoe ballet or freestyle paddling. I look forward to reading more here on this forum from everyone....it looks like a great "community" for sharing about our common passion for canoeing.
Here's a picture of my Minetta:

And I write an occasional blog Reflections On The Outdoors Naturally, http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpress.com/, which is primarily about canoes and canoeing.

From [i]Shield[/i] by Dave Hadfield

http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpress.c

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 2:57 pm 

When I was younger, say 40 years ago, I sketched out a canoe that I thought would be perfect for my solo needs. I never found one and couldn't get it together to build one. The closest I could come in a manufactured canoe was the Mad River Independence. Now that I am getting on and finding it harder to get in an out of a canoe gracefully, Bluewater is making a canoe that they call (a little misleadingly, perhaps) the Peterborough. Its specs are nearly identical to those I came up with all those years ago. But it's too late. The very things that I wanted back then would make it unusable for me now. Such is life.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 4:28 pm 

Nice boat, but a foot short. I'd like to have the Bluewater Peterborough, and being tall and overweight, I could solo it.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 5:35 pm 

Similar specs to a LoonWorks Pal. Its a pretty boat but not a candidate for FreeStyle (and its characteristic cross strokes and maneuvers). Very nice touring craft.

Rolf has a Nova Craft Pal that I believe he gives to Deb. It does not spin quite as dramatically as a fatter boat but we are getting pretty picky here.

For tripping with a flat boat the relative narrowness is a good match for the relative shortness of the Minetta.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 5:53 pm 

The more I canoe... and the more canoes I've had the opportunity to paddle, the more I realize that "Perfect" and "Canoe" are two words that make absolutely zero sense together. Sounds like a beautiful functional canoe.... surely a good one, but it too fails to be perfect.

PK

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 6:22 pm 

Nice looking boat.I am in the process of rebuilding a peterborough otanobee,wich is 16 ft long,33" wide and 12 " deep,also in production around the same time

PostPosted: January 16th, 2010, 10:21 pm 

Well "perfect" is a misnomer perhaps....I do realize one canoe can't necessarily do it all....but for an all round solo/occasional tandem canoe that is wood-canvas (which is truly my favourite choice of construction), the Minetta is not a bad choice....even if not perfect....for me any way....and the Minetta is a very functional canoe indeed....and for my paddling ability more than adequate for Canadian style paddling, if not Freestyle....then again as PK points out nothing is perfect....the other canoes mentioned are all great choices too....maybe it's best that I just add: the perfect canoe is the one we're in at the moment because the time we're in the canoe is a perfect moment....any way to paraphrase the CBC Ideas program, The Canoe is The Perfect Machine....woodenkayakguy, I would love to hear more on the Otanobee....very nice canoe

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 9:16 am 

WoodnCanoe... beauty!

Quote:
...the time we're in the canoe is a perfect moment....

Canoeing, a collection of perfect moments and your canoe is the perfect vehicle to get there.

I've often enjoyed the sleek lines on my Huron floating silently at the water's edge, and wouldn't change a thing, especially in how it brought me to this place.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 9:37 am 

frozentripper wrote:
WoodnCanoe... beauty!

Quote:
...the time we're in the canoe is a perfect moment....

Canoeing, a collection of perfect moments and your canoe is the perfect vehicle to get there.

I've often enjoyed the sleek lines on my Huron floating silently at the water's edge, and wouldn't change a thing, especially in how it brought me to this place.

Canoeing, a collection of perfect moments and your canoe is the perfect vehicle to get there.....that might just say it even better.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 10:23 am 

WoodNCanvas wrote:
woodenkayakguy, I would love to hear more on the Otanobee....very nice canoe

Not alot to say at this point,picked the boat up from a guy who was going to restore it and just didn't have the time.Typical repairs to be done,end of one stem has been replaced,2 new ribs,1 patched rib,new decks and outwales.Found out what kind it was and how old here, http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/index.html,and you probably know about these guys,http://forums.wcha.org/.lots of info and help here.Hope to have it finished by spring,will post pics when it's done

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 10:32 am 

Bill Mason wrote:
The canoe is the simplest, most functional, yet aesthetically pleasing object ever created. In my opinion, this is not a statement that is open to debate, It's a fact!

Even Bill Mason avoids the use of the word "perfect" in this statement of high praise for the canoe. He does however later state that the Chestnut Prospector is "the all-around almost perfect canoe." The reality is that all canoes have a designed for a specific paddler or team, purpose and usage. That canoe approaches perfection within those design constraints. But many of us dabble in multiple usages for our canoes... thus ascribing any of them as perfect even for one usage is silly, but declaring them perfect all around would be pure lunacy. Even the Prospector would be far from the perfect canoe for Andy Triebold to race a triple crown race in, or for Bob Foote to run the Grand Canyon in. Unfortunately, that can be said for every canoe.

I think that canoes in general create wonderful moments in our lives. These moments are easily thought of as perfect. We're not at the office, we're not working on home related projects, we're often in beautiful places, enjoying being alive... and most of us are "really" alive when we are in our canoe. Thus the craft that takes us to these wonderful places must be pretty close to perfect.... and the specific model we are using must be that perfect canoe. That may well be... until that canoe gets outside of it's usage. Either you are trying to keep up with someone in a faster canoe (which at that moment sure looks closer to perfect), or you blew an eddy turn and grazed a piece of quartzite, and your buddy landed perfect in the eddy (oh, oh! Your buddies canoe must be even more perfect).

It's fun to think about perfect canoes... and I often hear people trying to tell me that X is a perfect canoe. Personally, I want to be the person that leaves doubt in that other persons mind that their canoe is the best. I like leaving them thinking that my solo canoe is maybe the perfect canoe.... whichever well loved beast that might be. But my mind is fully aware that even if my boat is making paddling effortless, or I'm surfing the face off a green wave, or my canoe and gear got over the portage smoother and more efficient.... that none of my canoes is really perfect.... and neither am I.

PK

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 5:09 pm 

pknoerr wrote:
Bill Mason wrote:
The canoe is the simplest, most functional, yet aesthetically pleasing object ever created. In my opinion, this is not a statement that is open to debate, It's a fact!

Even Bill Mason avoids the use of the word "perfect" in this statement of high praise for the canoe. He does however later state that the Chestnut Prospector is "the all-around almost perfect canoe.".....I think that canoes in general create wonderful moments in our lives. These moments are easily thought of as perfect. We're not at the office, we're not working on home related projects, we're often in beautiful places, enjoying being alive... and most of us are "really" alive when we are in our canoe. Thus the craft that takes us to these wonderful places must be pretty close to perfect.... and the specific model we are using must be that perfect canoe.....It's fun to think about perfect canoes... and I often hear people trying to tell me that X is a perfect canoe. Personally, I want to be the person that leaves doubt in that other persons mind that their canoe is the best. I like leaving them thinking that my solo canoe is maybe the perfect canoe.... whichever well loved beast that might be. But my mind is fully aware that even if my boat is making paddling effortless, or I'm surfing the face off a green wave, or my canoe and gear got over the portage smoother and more efficient.... that none of my canoes is really perfect.... and neither am I.

PK

Agree with almost everything you said....especially the parts I've included in the passages I've quoted above....you've included one of my favourite Bill Mason quotes.....and funny that Bill said the Prospector was "the all-around almost perfect canoe".....when a Pal was used in so many of his films too, especially The Path of the Paddle series....so much of what you said was so much like what was said in the CBC Radio documentary, Perfect Machines: The Canoe....and like yourself, I'm far from perfect....except when I'm in my canoe LOL LOL

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 9:48 pm 

So I take it WoodNCanvas that you are a WCHA member? Hope you can make it to the annual Assembly in New Hampshire!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 10:19 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
So I take it WoodNCanvas that you are a WCHA member? Hope you can make it to the annual Assembly in New Hampshire!

I'll definitely be there if I can....it's on my To-Do List for sure.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 7:04 am 

Perfection is situational to paddler and conditions; in short, there ain't no universal tens! In this case the hull in question doesn't fit the solo canoe category!

The beautiful hull pictured has two seats, neither near center. It is a compact tandem canoe. At 33in max beam would be the widest solo canoe in the market. Another is 32", three at 31", most are 27.5 to 30 in max beam for efficient l/w ratio and to allow cross strokes; the key to advanced solo technique.

It is a pretty compact tandem that can be paddled solo with limitations, but not a solo canoe at all.