It is currently September 18th, 2020, 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 1st try at building
PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 10:31 am 

The boat I am building is about a year behind schedule, life keeps getting in the way. No big deal to me, though I would like to get back some space in my shop.

I scarfed the strips just before the final planing and doing the bead and cove. I think I did a 6:1 scarf. I too built a simple jig for the table saw, and a jig to do multiple spices at once. I could knock off 12 splices in less than 30 minutes. I did only have to splice about 30 or so strips as I had enough that were lone enough.

I don't have a photo of the cutting jig, but it was simple, a runner to fit the slot in the table saw, and a fence at the angle I wanted. This is a photo of the strips getting scarfed.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 10:42 am 

mark m wrote:
I think I'm going to need a TON of sand paper - it sure looks rough...

For the outer hull a spokeshave does an awesome job of smoothing out the ridges before you start sanding.

When you do start sanding, don't start with too fine a grit. Personally I would do a pass with 60 grit before going down to an 80 grit. You can go finer and I probably did go to a 100 or 120 grit. I know lots of folks will go even finer than that but for me personally the cost-benefit really declines at that point.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 4:42 pm 

So far in my build I have just finished completely fairing out the outer hull to the point of the final sand. I have used about 2 sheets of 80 grit, and an 80 grit sanding belt on a fairing board I built which has a ton of life left.

Like Splake and RHaslam said, I used a nice sharp low-angle plane and a spokeshave to do the most of it, and the fairing board to do the rest. The sandpaper only got used on the shoulders at the shear because they have sharp angles that I had to build a sanding block to match.

I can't even imagine doing a nice smooth even finish on the hull without a fairing board. If you have one great, if you don't I would recommend making one, it is real easy.

I bet a couple 100 grit discs on my ROS, and a couple sheets to do the shoulders will be all I use on the final sanding. This would happen soon, but too much camping and canoeing to do in my spare time right now. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: July 29th, 2012, 4:12 pm 

thanks for the tips guys. I will put them to use I'm sure.
Jim - I have seen your fairing board and will likely copycat you

no spokeshave but I'll use the block plane

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 3:00 pm 

Coming along. 1 strip at a time. I tried doing 2-3 strips at a time but wasn't getting the control I thought I needed (maybe I'm too fussy).
I think I got most of the "easy" strips down. Now heading into the bilge.

I honestly thought I had enough clamps haha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79870860@N02/?saved=1

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 11:41 am 

Back at it again.

I got a little ahead of myself and didn't trim the strips very well against the inner stem. Got a bit carried away with the block plane as it started to flatten out.
Another mistake I made is that I didn't cover the station where the inner stem meets it with the strips, so theres a small hole (on both ends!) that I need to fill

This shot is actually from October when I had to leave it alone for a few months due to other commitments

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 12:00 pm 

This is the latest. Stripping done. Shear line roughed out. Outer stems attached.

Putting the last strip in the middle wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It actually took me longer to figure out the shearline

I had to get a bit creative with shaping and adjusting the stems so that they would fit together. Not much was fitting like it was before I started the stripping. The 1 outer actually filled one of the "holes" I made past the inner stem while I was able to fashion a plug for the other. Hopefully I'm the only one that will be able to tell.

I was pretty nervous about the outer stem fitting but that epoxy seems to be the answer for any problem thus far.

Going to make a fairing board as you guys advise and start shaping next week. I don't have a spoke shave so hopefully I can get by without it.

The fibreglass is on its way

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 8:27 pm 

I've made that same mistake planing the stems on both boats that I've built. Hopefully the third time will be the charm whenever I get around to it.

A Stanley spokeshave should only be about $20 and I would definitely recommend one. You will be able to sand the hull down without a spokeshave but you will save yourselves hours if you have one.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 7:31 am 

Boat is looking really good. Wood rasps are an overlooked tool. They come in coarse, medium and fine and have the advantage that they will work the grain in any direction. I use them a lot in paddle making and they would help you shape your stems.
Cheers

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 8:08 am 

Roughly how many strips did you need to make the hull? Im considering building one and have no idea how much wood i need to get?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:12 am 

Depends on the size of the boat, but if it is a normal 16 footer, around 60 board feet of clear wood will work (if you are cutting it up on a table saw).

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 4:35 pm 

Have a rasp but maybe I will get a spokeshave. Whats another new tool, eh?
I'll just tell my wife that the internet told me to get it!

I can't remember how many strips exactly - I think I beaded and coved around 160 10ft strips and I have LOTS left over (I wrecked alot too). I brought home 9 8" 10ft boards (= RH's guidline) and that was LOTS.
I would still stick with that though for colour matching etc

PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 8:42 pm 

Hi mark m and congratulations on the start of your first build!...looks GREAT so far.
I am brand new to CCR...matter-of-fact,the above line is my first line of text on here.LOL
I designed and built my own 16'-2" stripper over the past year, beginning on Nov.14-2012 and finishing it on Oct.14-2013...LOLO..Eleven months!
..I bought no plans, used no coordinates or offsets, just drew it up to scale,freehanded the curvature of the forms and did a 'lot of tweaking' to get everything fair;
Coincendentially,It was The Carrying Place canoe co. that inspired me the most in accomplishing the build....they were also the first site that I landed on when I set out to get some idea on how to begin building a dream that I had had for a long time.I may start a new thread on here soon, but right now, I'm just 'finding my way around'.The best of luck on your build mark

PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

...WOW....Did'nt realize you had other pics on here, untill I scrolled down!!!!....****GREAT WORK MARK****!!!!!!

PostPosted: January 15th, 2014, 3:27 pm 

Thanks salty. I've been in a holding pattern for a while and only half done.
Ah the priorities of life