It is currently September 18th, 2020, 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 28th, 2013, 12:30 pm 

Not really a boat question, but I have several coats of West 105/206 on a wood project, and after removing the amine blush, waiting for a (long) cure and final sanding I want to coat it with white enamel paint.

I’d like to use a primer first for a smoother finish, and maybe harder subsurface shell.

Does anyone have experience with a preferred primer to use between an epoxy coat and enamel paint?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2013, 1:25 pm 

I'm pretty sure that I painted the bottom of a plywood rowboat after replacing the bottom and epoxying it. I would have used West 105/207 since the 207 hardener is the only one I have around. I'm not sure I used any primer on that one and it's been at least 3 years now. The boat doesn't get a ton of use, but it does sit out on the dock all summer. The paint has held up fine so far.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm 

Mike, if you have the time, West Epoxy probably has info about that on their website.

Once you've prepared the epoxy surface, a primer that adheres well to things in general should adhere well to the epoxy. Then you can use the primer to get the good leveling you want.

Since epoxy is a plastic, Krylon Fusion might be expected to adhere better than average, but then you wouldn't get the leveling benefit of the primer. And then there's two part epoxy paints......

PostPosted: May 29th, 2013, 9:42 am 

Talcum powder has been used as an additive to epoxy and the mix should bond well to cured epoxy... IIRC there was some discussion on wooden boat forums. I haven't actually tried this myself, still in the right proportions, talc should be able to make primer for a fill coat.

When I was a kid I used to build model airplanes, and the way to apply primer there was to add talcum powder to thinned airplane dope until it was about the same thickness as sour cream... then brush on to fill grain. Talcum powder is soft relative to sandpaper and sanded smooth for a high-gloss dead smooth finish.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2013, 4:29 pm 

I used very expensive 2 part epoxy to repaint my hull. When it got scraped up again I found a perfectly matching red Tremclad paint at my local hardware store. I can't tell the diff! No paint stands up to rocks---so much for the better 'durability' of the 2 part epoxies. An epoxy on both your parts, I say!!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2013, 9:14 pm 

Mike, I use a General Paint Plastic primer 11010 for all of my repairs.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2013, 7:59 am 

...googlegoogle... yep, talc can be used on the cheap (don't buy anything with the word "marine" on it)... some additional recs in the rest of the thread.

Quote:
High Build Epoxy Primer
Does anyone have a source for high build epoxy primer? In the past I've used Sherwin Williams Tile-Clad, great stuff, however the local distributor who use to sell it to me will now only sell to commercial/industrial clients in 5 gallon increments. Does anyone know of a similar product that is sold by the gallon to retail clients, that doesn't have the word "marine" in the name? I know one can buy Pettit's or Interlux's version of the stuff but at more than twice the price of the "industrial" variety.

Re: High Build Epoxy Primer
I was going to recommend Sterling.... which I use... but I see you are chasing price. If price is the primary focus, why not make your own... just add some talc to some epoxy. Might take some experimentation.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... oxy-Primer