It is currently September 20th, 2020, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 12:13 am 

Hi folks,
As mentioned in another thread, I bought a new canoe this week. And by new, I mean 41 years old. It's a Chestnut Pal in need of some restoration. I've blogged about it, and intend to share the process of the restoration through my blog as well.

Here is my initial blog post describing the canoe and asking a few questions that I need to answer for myself, including "Restore to original, or customize to suit?" http://pawistik.blogspot.ca/2014/04/i-b ... canoe.html

And in this blog post I add some pictures taken today (several addded in this post) : http://pawistik.blogspot.ca/2014/04/pho ... t-pal.html

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 6:33 am 

Nice find and it appears to be in really good shape. Chestnuts are like hens teeth in this neck of the woods.

White cedar ribs and planking. Looks like a epoxy repair to that broken rib at the cant rib under the deck? Obviously it needs new canvas.

On my Chestnut Fox, since I didn't want to drill new holes in the original inwales, I just hung a solo seat from the bow seat holes and paddle it backwards for solo. Could work if your intention is to use it as a solo.

If you remove the decal during restoration you can order a new one through the WCHA store.

Karin

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 12:37 pm 

Mihun09 wrote:
If you remove the decal during restoration you can order a new one through the WCHA store.

Thanks for the comments and that's excellent to hear about the decal, I was wondering how I'd do that.

Yes, there is a rib that needs replacing.

I've only just started reading the WCHA forums.

I think I'll likely keep the original seat placement, paddling it backwards for solo but keeping the potential to have my kids with me in the bow.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: April 19th, 2014, 5:26 pm 

If you have any trouble finding white cedar out your way, we have about 100 board feet and can send you some, but if it is a cant rib only, that is small enough you might consider red cedar since it is up under the deck.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 12:03 pm 

Hi Bryan,
Congratulations on your Pal, I have one and I have been tripping with it for almost 20 years. I liked the Chestnut brand so much I sold my non wood canoes and now own 5 Chestnuts...it's addicting.
Here's my trip to WCPP 3 years ago with it.
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 08&t=37348

Been to Maine, Quebec and Ontario many times with my Pal. I've gone to a smaller canoe as I age, 15' Chestnut Chum, which makes a fine solo tripper if you like wood canvas.
Still, my Pal is my favorite canoe and I would never part with it. It's next on the restoration list as it's a little beat up.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to respond on your blog, but here's what I did thru the years with the Pal.
I removed the keel on my first restoration and never replaced it. They are not worth the leakage they will create over time, from my experience tripping with the Pal.
I tried a lighter #12 canvas and lighter gunnels, but I found the weight savings to not be worth the toughness the canoe has. I went back to ash gunnels in the stock thickness and #10 canvas.
I would stick with the seats, Chestnut seats are beautiful and easy to learn how to recain. If your not happy with the stock seats, make a wider seat copying the Chestnut weave, it will look nice.

You have a nice canoe, enjoy!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2014, 12:25 pm 

Robin wrote:
I removed the keel on my first restoration and never replaced it. They are not worth the leakage they will create over time, from my experience tripping with the Pal.
I tried a lighter #12 canvas and lighter gunnels, but I found the weight savings to not be worth the toughness the canoe has. I went back to ash gunnels in the stock thickness and #10 canvas.
I would stick with the seats, Chestnut seats are beautiful and easy to learn how to recain. If your not happy with the stock seats, make a wider seat copying the Chestnut weave, it will look nice.

Hi Robin,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience and insight, that's exactly the sort of thing I was after. I'll likely restore it fairly authentic except that at this point I am leaning toward leaving off the keel. One can always add it afterwards if I decide it's warranted.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 8:00 am 

We never do put keels back on our boats. We have one old Canadian that never did have one so they are not really necessary if you take a little care with how you use it.
Like Robin says, lightening up the boat by using lighter canvas and outwales can be good or bad depending on what you use the canoe for. It is kind of nice to restore then to original as close as possible.
This is a nice find and you are lucky to come across a chestnut out here in Huron country. Let us know if you stumble across any more cheap, we are always looking.

Christy