It is currently September 18th, 2020, 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Canoe ID & Questions
PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 10:45 pm 

Hi all,

New to the forum and just wondering if anyone help with a couple questions I have.

Can anyone tell me what make or model this canoe is? It is a 14 ft fiberglass(I'm assuming) canoe with aluminum gunwales. I have not been able to find any stamps or serial numbers anywhere on it.

Also, I would like to put a yoke on and lower the seats but the problem I found is that the gunwales only have a ridge on the outside of the canoe and the inside rail is flush with the canoe so there is no inside lip to fasten the yoke or hang seats from. Has anyone encountered this problem? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Canoe ID & Questions
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 6:14 am 

Wenonah pop rivets tempered aluminum L channel through the sidewalls to serve as a shelf for seat mounting. They may sell same. Best to buy tempered rivets from the same source. Untempered angle and rivets available in hardware store will deform, then fail soon after application.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 9:07 pm 

Thank you very much for your response Charlie. Do you know if this is a Wenonah canoe or is that just the rivets and bracket you recommend.

Thanks,

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 11:57 am 

It does not look like a wenonah, not the sure, not the workmanship (or lack of) nor the gunnels or outfitting.

Ik loks more like a shed built of an amateur.

wneonah sells those seatrests separate, or at least a wenonah dealer should be able to get some for you. I have put on my yoke and twarths o a l shaped profile and popped than on the gunnel

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 1:17 pm 

maximj wrote:
Thank you very much for your response Charlie. Do you know if this is a Wenonah canoe or is that just the rivets and bracket you recommend.

Thanks,

If I read correctly Charlie is referring to the way that Wenonah sells brackets for seats so the OP can install lower seats. Nowhere did he say that particular canoe was a Wenonah.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 10:31 am 

I agree it's not a Wenonah. I like Charlie's plan for lowering the seats too. We haven't sorted out the yoke. You could build a shelf like the seats with rivets through the sides to keep the yoke below the rails. While that's an elegant solution, I see on issues with bolting the yoke to the tops of the rails. I install my yoke on top of the rails of my Pak Canoe. We've done many trips with the yoke like that, and while not as elegant as a below the rails installation, the yoke location works fine.

Have you tried to balance the canoe to see where the yoke location should be? Will that aluminum thwart be at the balance point? If so, you could search around on ebay or craigslist or kijiji for one of the old aluminum bolt over the aluminum thwart portage yokes. http://www.bwca.com/messageboards/printThread.cfm?confId=1&forumId=133&threadId=460415

PK

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 11:55 am 

Certainly not a Wenonah.

This is the type of aluminum seat hanger bracket that will work:

http://www.rutabaga.com/wenonah-canoe-s ... cket-black

You may be able to make yourself a couple of pairs out of aluminum sheet.

The aluminum C channel brackets and long stainless steel screws shown in the second picture down on this page can be used to mount a center yoke in that type of boat:

http://www.clippercanoes.com/outfitting/

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 8:01 am 

Awesome. Thanks for all your help and advice guys I will look into getting some of those hangers.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 9:21 am 

pblanc wrote:
This is the type of aluminum seat hanger bracket that will work:

Mohawk uses that style of seat hanger as well, and they have a simple trick for allowing the user to set a preferred seat height or cant angle.

(Scroll down to the “Seat Adjustment kit” at the bottom of this link):

http://mohawkcanoes.com/products/seats-seat-backs/#

Mohawk includes a little plastic “spacer” for each corner.

To raise the seat height the spacers go on top of the L foot, with a short machine screw through the seat, spacer and L foot. To lower the seat height the spacer goes on the bottom of the L foot with the seat hung below (L foot, spacer, seat frame). To angle the seat the spacers go above or below the seat as desired, often using only two of the spacers.

Simple to do if you find that you would like the seat a little higher or lower or canted, and easy to DIY your own spacers.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 11:25 am 

Hi, Welcome,
The lines remind me of Frontiersman canoe.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=frontier ... 20&bih=979
Good luck.