It is currently May 27th, 2020, 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 27th, 2019, 11:12 pm 

good day eh. i'm considering a new canoe, it's been quite a while. i have 2 at present, an ash gunwhaled Hellman prospector and a Esquif Pocket Canyon, royalex.

i would be buying sight unseen as i live on the west coast, and i have never seen their gunwhale system in person. it seems brilliant to me in theory. for those who have first hand experience my questions are thus:

- how wide are the inwhales and do they feel sufficient for ease of hooking your fingers around to lift the boat?

- are they generally fairly warm and nice to the touch? i despise aluminum gunwhales. i like vinyl on royalex and wood on composites. how are these to the touch? they look nice far as i can tell in Swift videos.

- how are they on paddles? i pry off gunwhales as required. are they any harder on paddle shafts than the alternatives?

any thoughts, pros or cons from experience are welcome. thanks, J

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 11:55 am 

They are rounded so I wouldnt say its easy to lift by just using finger tips if that makes sense. They are however nice to carry and hold during a portage. They are nice to touch unlike aluminum. I would say wood is probably the nicest followed by the composite. Im more worried about the composite being worn than my paddles, however after 5 years I dont really have noticeable damage on paddle or gunwhale though.

What model of canoe are you looking at?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 12:08 pm 

P 16

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 1:13 pm 

I don't own a Swift but I've always admired their composite gunnels with the cherry trim on the outside. Best of both worlds that way.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 4:18 pm 

The gunwales are about 20 mm wide. My Osprey also has the extra piece of cherry exterior trim (I don't know if they still offer that option) which makes the total width about 30 mm or a touch less. I went to a Swift demo day earlier this year and handled many boats with the integrated carbon fiber gunwales and never even thought about issues with handling the boat.

They are much warmer and quieter than aluminum gunwales. They may not be quite as smooth as wood but they aren't rough. I don't do much prying so not sure how hard they are on wood paddles. If you're concerned about this the easy solution is to get a carbon fiber paddle.

:)

The weight savings over wood or aluminum is significant. If you are interested in the integrated carbon fiber gunwales there's no reason not to get them.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm 

daypaddler wrote:
I don't do much prying so not sure how hard they are on wood paddles. If you're concerned about this the easy solution is to get a carbon fiber paddle.

:)

My only carbon paddle is a Werner Bandit, I pry a lot and I was able to create a serious indentation in the shaft in a very short period of time and that was with vinyl gunwhales, As a short term measure I wrapped the shaft with Gorrilla tape (kept wearing through) and later with nylon cord as described here:

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~burchil/pm ... pping.html

It's held up very well and I'm no longer concerned about the paddle shaft. Previously I only used wood paddles and never saw much in the way of shaft wear so I don't think carbon is the answer if you are a habitual pry guy like I am.

Carbon fibre is light and extremely stiff but it's not so great when it comes to abrasion resistance.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 6:09 pm 

I think you're 100% right recped. I've got a bunch of carbon fiber paddles of various brands and it would be a mistake to do a lot of prying with the ones with the lightest construction. Zaverals are popular and I think you could actually damage and fold the shaft on one with heavy prying. My strongest carbon paddles are no longer made Black Barts and I doubt you could hurt them with prying but even still having some wood with "give" involved seems better.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 8:27 pm 

thanks all. they sound just about perfect.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 8:55 pm 

You cant go wrong with the swift P16.
I have 4 swifts, 3 with the composite gunwales.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2019, 9:28 pm 

well while we're at it, i suppose i should inquire as to the durability of the kevlar fusion layup. i don't intend on abusing this boat, but it would be subjected to normal use and the bumps and abrasions that occur on occasional slow moving rivers and the like. i imagine it's fairly durable, but what's been the collective experience out there? anyone doing enough damage to require repairs?

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 6:48 am 

You can see some of my other posts but I can say the layups are all durable. I dont beat up my boats but they arent overly babied and they are still in great shape.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2019, 12:09 pm 

Both of my Swifts are the Kevlar fusion lay-up. One was a Swift demo boat and then owned by someone else before I got it. Your boat should last forever given your described usage.