It is currently May 27th, 2020, 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scott Canoe Repair
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 1:16 pm 

I've already done some research and I plan on reaching out to Scott which I think is abitibi now.

I just bought a used Scott Canoe it seems in good shape with the exception the keel looks a little worn (light can be seen through it) along with the skid plates are completely worn down. I'm debating just reinforcing the keel a bit along with the skid plates using kevlar tape and an epoxy resin like the west system. There is also a hole patch that's been patched from both sides but looks like a quick job, not sanded or flush at all. I've also been told the keel looks okay so I'm debating three options:

1) Reinforce and buy kevlar skid plates and seal with epoxy resin like the west system
2) Reinforce skid plate areas and keel with kevlar tape
3) Reinforce skid plate areas and keel, sand off the entire gel coat and re-seal the boat with the epoxy resin since.. may as well while I'm doing the keel/skid plates? but the gel coat aside from the bottom looks like it's in good condition.

Thoughts?

Link below to canoe

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vwvMD ... L8Le2ObJou

Post subject: Re: Scott Canoe Repair
PostPosted: November 4th, 2019, 9:00 am 

Removing all gelcoat will be too much work and unnecessary if most of the hull is still in good shape at least IMO. Gelcoat can be removed at the hole and a better patch applied. Along the keel, strips of fiberglass in the worn areas can be applied to build up the thickness back to original condition... kevlar will be too hard to sand smooth.

Once the hull has been restored, kevlar skid plates might be applied, although Dynel if you can get it, has been shown to be a better choice.... see this thread for availability in Canada, Recped might still have some.

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 24&t=47403

PS... I go simply with building up layers of fiberglass and reapplying when they get worn down... others may have more wear and tear to deal with.