It is currently August 15th, 2020, 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 24th, 2019, 12:53 pm 

Too long and photo heavy to try to format and re-post here. I recently installed 10 skid plates, some experimentally, including single layer Dynel cloth, Dynel cloth over old worn smooth kevlar felt uglies, 1 ½” wide Twaron tape skid plates and, most pleasingly, 1 ½” wide Dynel sleeve skid plates on sharp vee stems.

All with West 105/206 and G/flex mixed with graphite powder and black pigment.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... -retrofits

I had searched for Dynel tape for years; there appears to be no such thing. The sleeve material is the answer for long, narrow strips of Dynel with zero strays and frays.

TL:DR – Dynel fabric epoxied over old worn-smooth kevlar skids works well. Twaron tape does not have near the abrasion resistance of Dynel. And, tip of the hat to Recped, Dynel sleeve is my new favorite material for anything narrow and linear that needs to be incredibly abrasion resistant.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 1:06 pm 

Looks real good. Might have to grab me some of this Dynel fabric.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 2:48 pm 

Captaincanadian wrote:
Looks real good. Might have to grab me some of this Dynel fabric.

If you want a Canadian source for the 54” wide Dynel fabric to cut to size and shape you may need to contact Recped and see if he has any left from the quantity he obtained.

I do not know if the (1 ½”) wide Dynel sleeve is available from any Canadian Supplier.

The Dynel sleeve I used from Sweet Composites was the “lightweight” version. I’d kinda like to try the “standard” heavier-weight Dynel sleeve for a guide friend’s oft-abused vee stemmed/bottomed sea kayaks.

Even if it stood a little taller it might be worth the increased durability.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2019, 4:06 pm 

I have a few yards of Dynel remaining, I do not have any of the tube/sleeve nor epoxy or release fabric.

Perhaps at some point I'll put together complete kits with fabric, sleeve, release & epoxy but it won't be anytime soon.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2019, 8:20 am 

recped wrote:
Perhaps at some point I'll put together complete kits with fabric, sleeve, release & epoxy but it won't be anytime soon.

The only thing like that in a Dynel kit that I know of is this from Chesapeake Light Craft

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/catalo ... bstrip-kit

Those contain cut-edge strips of Dynel, some tape and epoxy if so ordered. No release treated peel ply, which makes for a much smoother Dynel surface after the epoxy sets up

A better kit for most canoe applications would include a yard (or less) of Dynel fabric to the cut to size and shape, and sufficient peel ply to cover the wetted out Dynel. For sharp vee stemmed canoes or many kayaks a couple yards of Dynel sleeve would be far easier to work with.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2019, 4:01 pm 

I'm thinking the sleeve would make a good base layer for the high wear area when doing a "virgin" skid plate installation. I think this is what I will do with my newest boat that has nothing at the moment. The previous Dynel install I did was on top of 5 or 6 layers of existing s-glass.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2019, 10:22 am 

recped wrote:
I'm thinking the sleeve would make a good base layer for the high wear area when doing a "virgin" skid plate installation. I think this is what I will do with my newest boat that has nothing at the moment. The previous Dynel install I did was on top of 5 or 6 layers of existing s-glass.

I know from the skid plate abrasion and impact experiments that having a second layer of something underneath the Dynel was more impact resistant. Simply plain woven E-glass tape worked as well as anything, and the selvage edge vanished under hard roller compression.

E-glass tape would be less expensive than the Dynel sleeve, and could be purchased in widths from 1” to 4”.

Of note, the Dynel skid plate kits from Chesapeake Light Craft come with four strips of cut-edge Dynel, so that they are laid up with two layers.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2019, 7:02 am 

Dynel Sleeve Material Testing

I was curious about the abrasion resistance, epoxy saturation/adhesion and thickness of the Dynel sleeve for use as long narrow skid plate material, so I replicated some the previous skid plate material tests using the 1 ½” wide Dynel sleeve with a piece of Royalex as the test bed.

Conclusions: The Dynel sleeve does is approximately as abrasion resistant as 5oz Dynel fabric, does saturate thoroughly using different epoxy mixes, is well adhered and, when compressed under peel ply, the sleeve is about 1/16” thick atop the RX.

Experiment, photos and results here:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/for ... ssions/diy

PostPosted: December 26th, 2019, 11:21 am 

I laid up two mores test Royalex panels with some variations in skid plate materials, epoxies and applications.

Test panel #2 was laid up with no G/flex in the mix, and no graphite powder, just West 105/206 epoxy with black color agent pigment, all materials peel ply compressed.

Test materials
1 ¾” wide Dynel sleeve only
1 ¾” wide Dynel sleeve over 1 ½” wide Twaron tape
1 ¾” wide Dynel sleeve over 1” wide E-glass tape
1 ¾” wide Dynel sleeve over 1 ½” wide Dynel sleeve

My take away from those test pieces is that the less viscous epoxy, without G/flex added, more thoroughly saturated the materials, and that the graphite powder should only be added to the epoxy on the final topcoat, where the added durability, UV protection and slipperlyness matter.

Test panel #3 was likewise laid up with no G/flex in the mix, and no graphite powder, just black color agent pigment, but this time without any peel ply compression. The epoxy variation was using 205 Fast Cure Hardener instead of 206 Slow Cure.

Test materials
5oz Dynel fabric
1 ¾” Dynel sleeve
1 ¾” Dynel sleeve over (thick) bias Twaron tape
Kevlar felt

My take away from those test pieces is that the Fast Cure hardener sets up too quickly, it did not saturate the materials nearly as thoroughly as the Slow Cure. And that the peel ply compression helps in several ways; without peel ply compression the materials were thicker and less flush with the “hull” and the presented a much rougher surface, raspy enough to scrape skin.

Thickness measurements with caliper, saturation inspections, grinding abuse and photos on that same Dynel sleeve thread.