It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 8:32 pm 

Has anyone paddled all three of these? I have a Hellman Prospector but bought it when we were living somewhere with more flatwater being paddled. Now that we're in Northern BC and central/southern BC over the next couple years I want to get back to more river paddling. The narrow bow has cut right through some waves while paddling loaded so I'm wondering about it in bigger rapids.

The Slocan and Scout seems to be the same boat with 2 feet cut out of the middle. I'm torn as something in the middle of the two would probably be best for us. The Slocan seems long but I thought the Prospector would be big and it's fine to handle.

Bow paddler is 100lbs, I'm 150. We pack fairly light with more backpacking styled gear. We also have a 55lb dog. With life and work the way it goes, long weekend trips and day runs are realistically what will be paddled. Ideally at least one extended trip would happen each year but who knows. I lean to the Scout for most days. I lean to the Slocan for the longer trips, room for the dog, and the length likely helping on the flatter water.

How much more spiny are the Slocan and Scout with their extra 1.5 inches of rocker?
How much does the 2ft of the Slocan slow the spin compared to the Scout?

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 9:04 pm 

I've paddled a lot of BC whitewater day trips, starting in normal tandem canoes (including a NC Prospector) and then moving to play boats (and solo ww). OT Discovery - NC Prospector - OT Appalachian - Esquif Vertige X.

I now have a Slocan as our do-all family tripping boat.

Based on your own good description, seems clear you'd be better off in a Scout most days, and it would be more fun. The Slocan is a pretty big boat for catching eddies on day trips. Go smaller. If you ever need a bigger boat for a longer trip, rent.

You do know you need a boat like the Scout. You're not sure if you sometimes might need something like a Slocan. Done deal.

And rivers are fun. I'd go with maxing out your maneuverability. Once you get into ww, you're more likely to get interested in smaller & more playful boats, so the Slocan could feel too big pretty quickly.

You think you need a Scout. You might actually need something sportier than that for the eddies & surfing, plus 2 solo boats!!

Cheers, Pat.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 8:48 am 

I've paddled all three and own a Slocan (with skirt). As above, the Slocan is a goto
boat for longer rivers and gear carrying. Great boat and paddles shorter than it's length would
suggest. So the answer is clear- get a Scout. If you need a longer boat to haul
dog etc. then use the prospector. Especially since you won't be doing too much WW
with a dog in the boat, and the prospector is adequate for easy rivers.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 2:34 pm 

yarnellboat wrote:
Go smaller. If you ever need a bigger boat for a longer trip, rent....

...You think you need a Scout. You might actually need something sportier than that for the eddies & surfing, plus 2 solo boats!!

Cheers, Pat.

Right. I forgot to mention that some of the bucket list bigger trips would likely involve flying to the closest town and renting anyway

ski-it wrote:
So the answer is clear- get a Scout. If you need a longer boat to haul
dog etc. then use the prospector.

Also forgot to mention that the though is to replace the Prospector. I don't have room for two tandems right now and adding a solo play boat is on the horizon as well.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 7:50 pm 

"Also forgot to mention that the though is to replace the Prospector. I don't have room for two tandems right now and adding a solo play boat is on the horizon as well."

Well again the answer here is clear, move.
Your partner might start feeling you are afraid of commitment.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2020, 6:42 pm 

I own a Slocan and have owned the Souris River Prospector (which I think is the same design).

The Slocan is an amazingly big and stable boat for a river trip. I find it fun, but I am heavier than you, and use it mostly for tripping (and I often bring a Dutch oven).

I agree with the others that the Scout would likely be the ticket.

Just like a 17' Prospector is considerably bigger than, say, a 17' Jensen, the Solcan/Scout have more volume than their length alone would suggest, and I bet the Scout would be more capable than a 16' Novacraft Prospector (speaking of which the poly NC Prospector 16 is only 15'6" anyway).

It's funny because I really like the Slocan and have considered adding a Hellman Prospector just for a bit more speed, but rationalize that the Slocan can do everything the Prospector can, just a wee bit slower and heavier.

PostPosted: Today, 12:11 am 

Does anyone have a picture of a loaded Scout? The only thing I'm really worried about with the Scout is being able to fit everything. I picture gives a really good idea of what will fit and how hard it was to fit all that in. Between a weekend trip and week+ trip the only real difference is food. I'd want to know there is still space for more food. We don't seem to have the time to prep our food super well so it does end up being more bulky than dehydrated meals.