It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 25th, 2021, 10:47 pm 

Hello,

I've seen lots of great advice on here and hoping someone with some build experience can help me out with fibreglass recommendations for repairing an ~30 year old 'Syl-Ray' canoe made in Surrey, BC. It's roughly similar dimensions to a Frontiersman.

The pictures tell the main story, the ribs in the center have cracked and need repairing. As the original mold was cardboard I've decided to completely remove the ribs and rebuild them. The original design had the aforementioned cardboard 'hump' and then was glassed over with what looks like 3ish layers of fibreglass mat.

My replacement plan is to mold a similar shape with XPS foam and then fiberglass over that with resin epoxy and one layer of a heavier weave followed by a second layer with a finer weave. I plan to have about 8" of contact with the existing (sanded) hull either side of each rib.

So to my question, other than weight, is it a problem if these ribs are 'too strong'? Should they have some flex in them? Is that why the original ribs were done with a mat rather than a weave? The original cardboard would definitely have been stiffer than the XPS I'm planning to replace it with.

Any advice, other considerations I should be taking with this?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2021, 10:58 pm 

Not a problem that the ribs are strong. They are there to keep the hull rigid.
This design of rib is not flexible.
Mat is way cheaper than weave.

I would add that you brush on a third layer of just resin and hardener to fill in the weave of the cloth.
If you decide to paint, the sanding of a smooth layer will be much more effective for bonding.

Have fun and safe paddling.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2021, 2:21 am 

Thanks for the advice! I've already bought some weave that appears to be the same weight as the weave used on the main hull of the canoe so we'll see how it goes. That extra layer of resin makes sense, hopefully I can get it to turn out well enough.