It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 9:05 pm 

Hi all,
I have an older gold fusion swift osprey. I just pulled up some stick on knee pads. Does the collective brain trust have suggestions on what to use to remove the sticky residue?

Also, I plan on gluing in (vinlyl tec 200) a daisy chain on the bottom in preparation for a northwater adjustable yoke. Am I reading the directions correctly that I'm supposed to put the stuff on both surfaces, wait 15 minutes, and then apply another coat on before adhering? Seemed odd.
Anyway, thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2021, 7:53 am 

You could try using some Zippo lighter fluid on it. Squirt a little on the sticky glue and on a light cloth. Rub and the glue should start peeling away. Repeat as necessary as the fluid will evaporate away. I've used this method on everything from store stickers to boat motor decals and it works well. Of course, test on a small area first.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2021, 7:53 am 

Tom-O, In my experience, when trying to remove knee pads or tie-down patches, or their adhesive residue, I have had good luck with using the same adhesive that was originally used, as a loosening agent. In other words, in the case of something fixed in place with contact cement, I use a bit of fresh contact cement to soften the old contact cement residue still stuck on the boat, and then scrape with a plastic scraper/thumbnail. Slow, but effective, if one can identify the type of adhesive originally used, perhaps by trial and error.

As for putting two layers of adhesive on each piece prior to joining them together, I think it is a common practise as even the instructions on a can of contact cement advise doing this for things that really need to stay put.

Another good practise that I would recommend is once you have your daisy chain/tie-down patches, or whatever glued in place, put a thin bead of clear silicone sealant around the edge of each piece, to stop water and sand from getting in under and behind them in time, and working to loosen the bond between the piece and the canoe.

Modding canoes is part of the fun; good luck!

Ubique

PostPosted: May 12th, 2021, 9:05 am 

For pre-glued stick on knee pads, use methyl hydrate to remove residue.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2021, 7:01 pm 

Just curious Tom-O as to how the removal of that sticky residue is going and what you used to remove it? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 2:15 pm 

Haven't tackled it yet....Is Methyl Hydrate denatured alcohol?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2021, 2:35 pm 

No, Methyl Hydrate is called several names, but not denatured alcohol. That is another thing. Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol, also called grain alcohol, the kind you can drink, made undrinkable on purpose, by adding a little bit of Methyl Hydrate to it.

Some of the names used around the world for Methyl Hydrate are: Methyl Alcohol, Methanol, Meths, Metholated Spirits. Get it at you local Canadian Tire or hardware store in the paint department, or at any paint store.
Cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 10:13 pm 

I ended up using nail polish remover (Acetone), which did the trick. Thanks all for suggestions and advice!