It is currently August 5th, 2021, 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fixing Royalex
PostPosted: June 1st, 2021, 9:53 am 

Hey ya’ll,

I bought a few old Nova Craft Prospectors the other day and could use some advice. There are some deep scratches that need fixing but I think I have a handle on those. There are sections of the hull that have been worn down to the inner layer. Any thoughts? Just epoxy over the area?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fixing Royalex
PostPosted: June 1st, 2021, 4:04 pm 

Any epoxy repair will cut the resale value of a canoe by up to half. Try painting any bare areas and/or keep out of sun as much as possible. If epoxy is needed, consider applying thin layers of g/flex over cloth or even Kevlar, if needed for strength.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 11:05 am 

1Hoser wrote:
I bought a few old Nova Craft Prospectors the other day and could use some advice. There are some deep scratches that need fixing but I think I have a handle on those. There are sections of the hull that have been worn down to the inner layer. Any thoughts? Just epoxy over the area?

Really hard to say without photos and without knowing your intentions after repairs.

Epoxy and cloth repairs, done properly, will not detract from the resale value. Many folks lack the time, materials and skills necessary to repair a canoe and would shy away from one needing such work at any price. An acquaintance passed on a pristine $200 MRC Explorer because the cane in one seat was busted. It was mine the next day.

If the areas worn to the core are on the stems, from repeated bow landings and hull dragging, adding skid plate would be my solution.

Search “skid plates” on this board and you’ll find information and opinions. I’ll offer some of the latter:

DO NOT use ugly, heavy Kevlar felt. Just don’t.

If these are Royalex hulls I would not get acetone, or any solvent, near the wear areas. It will soften or dissolve the exposed ABS layers.

My preference would be to install Dynel fabric skid plates using an epoxy mix of black pigment and graphite powder, covered with release treated peel ply and hard roller compressed.

But. . . .Dynel fabric seems unavailable in Canada, so the next best thing is something like two layers of glass cloth, with one cut and laid on the bias. Same epoxy mix and peel ply treatment if materials available, but glass cloth and epoxy at least, then topcoat the cured skid plates with a paint color of your choice.

Although basic black goes with everything.

Dynel skid plate on a Royalex canoe with a long vee bow

ImageP7140025 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Wider skid plate on a more blunt stemmed RX canoe

ImageP6100002 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Just finished this (still needs a topcoat of paint). Full length Dynel sleeve, so two layers, on a worn vee bottom. West System 105/206 and G/flex epoxy mix, with black pigment and graphite powder added. Covered with release treated peel ply (peel ply in rolls! Yippie!) and hard roller compressed.

ImageP6020010 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2021, 11:27 am 

Sounds like pretty normal, basic wear that may not "need" fixing.

Not much needed to do for deep scratches, unless they are gouges that rip into inner layers. And for areas where the vinyl layer are worn, new paint is the easiest thing. A bit of neat glass would be a a next step, for high-wear areas.

P.