It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fiberglass hull repair
PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 1:32 pm 

Hi, I've taken a divot out of the gel coat of my fiberglass hull, making a hole down to the glass. Hole is about the size of a loonie, exposed glass about the size of a nickel. See below:
Attachment:
divot.JPG

Bought this boat used for very little. I've found some posts with some in-depth and costlier recommendations for fixing fiberglass hulls but I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a simple, straightforward fix with materials that won't be too hard to source, etc. Trying not to double the cost of the boat with this repair. My wife would call me cheap. I like to think of myself as strategic.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 4:04 pm 

Just get a fiberglass repair kit from Cdn Tire. Follow directions you can find on youtube videos.
Btw I'm sure cheap isn't the worst thing your wife has called you .

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 5:03 pm 

Lightly sand the whole pit and tape it off with an 1/8" of surface gelcoat showing around the hole.
Take some gel epoxy (2 part syringe) and dispense all of it in a non wax cup and mix it up.
Add some green food colouring to suit (or come close) and mix thoroughly.
Fill in the hole perfectly flush and tape some Saran Wrap down to smooth and feather the edges.
Careful not to over fill the hole. The epoxy should just creep out to the 1/8" sanded gelcoat.
Peel the wrap off while the patch is still green (uncured).
Very lightly sand the now cured patch, tape it off again and spray bomb to suit.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 6:10 pm 

Bigcat19, I think Canoeheadted's method is as quick, inexpensive, and effective as you will get for that kind of damage on that kind of canoe. Great advice; it works very well. Good luck, have fun!
Cheers.

Ubique

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 6:42 pm 

OK, nice! Sounds doable!

@canoetripper: I'm a Leafs fan and my wife is a Habs fan, so to quote Simon & Garfunkel, "I hear words I never heard in the Bible." Also, she doesn't appreciate having Simon & Garfunkel quoted at her.

@Canoeheadted: would something like this be what I'm looking for?
https://www.rona.ca/en/marine-epoxide-s ... l-01805187
Sorry, I'm a total newbie to canoe repair: when you say spray bomb, will any green spray paint do the trick?

Thanks, all!

Also, go Leafs.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2021, 9:26 pm 

And a third follow-up question: while looking at gel epoxy, I saw this epoxy putty: https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Brite-Epoxy- ... hi&sr=1-12

Curious about it. Does it work? Hard to imagine it would bond as well as the gel...