It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 7:55 pm 

I've come across this 16' Oneida II canoe in the local used market. Photos show it is made by Western Canoe and Kayak but it is not a model that is part of Western Canoe's usual Clipper lineup.

Does anyone have any info on this or is familiar with the Oneida line? All the internet research I've done point to Oneida canoes being rebadged Sawyer's, specifically that the Oneida III is Sawyer's 17'9" Cruiser. But I can't find anything on the Oneida II and the fact that Western's name, and not Sawyer's, is on the Oneida II makes me wonder what moulds they used. Is it a short tripper? A day boat? Who knows! I've got a question in to Western about it but thought I'd see if anyone here can help.

Update: Western Canoe and Kayak's reply to my question is:
"This is definitely not a Clipper canoe. Not to say that we have not touched it at some point, but it was not built here from a Clipper mould. It is also suspected by Clipper's General Manager, that it may be a Sawyer canoe."

So, a Sawyer model made by Western Canoe and Kayak using a Sawyer mould... or...? Hmmm.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by sthwaits on September 15th, 2021, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 10:27 pm 

I've redone several Easyrider canoes that Western acquired the bare royalex hulls and then trimmed it out with their components.
This looks like the same thing though I've never seen that brand before.

Please let us know what Western says. (if you don't mind)

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 11:46 pm 

I had that canoe at one time. It was stored all summer on a beach where my family has a cottage and never seemed to get used, so I used it all the time and left a note on it that I'd buy it. Bought it for $75! My first canoe actually. I was a kid and didn't know or care anything about hulls or brands or materials. If my canoe had a tag on it with manufacturer's specs, I wouldn't have looked at it.

Unfortunately, I treated it badly and it died an untimely death at the end of rope behind a skidoo. I know better now.

Sorry, don't remember anything useful about the hull. Seemed nice to me, and looks like a quality boat in the photos.

I'd say you're on the right track with it's design. Fine line between a short tripper and a day cruiser. I put it somewhere in that family of boats.

What do you mean that "photos show it's made by WCK"? What photos? Doesn't add up that it would be made by WCK but that WCK/Clipper doesn't know that.

Unless I could learn differently, I'd just consider it an Oneida design manufactured by Oneida, and it's just a company you can't find out much about, it happens (though I realize there are often interesting backstories on histories and relationships around different designs and manufacturers).

Good luck, P.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 11:54 pm 

My 2-second Google search resulted in something about Sawyer and a company called Woodstream? Looks like in 1978 Woodstream trademarked "Oneida" for canoes. P.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 12:46 am 

Canoeheadted wrote:
I've redone several Easyrider canoes that Western acquired the bare royalex hulls and then trimmed it out with their components.
This looks like the same thing though I've never seen that brand before.

Please let us know what Western says. (if you don't mind)

Interesting. Did the Easyrider canoes you redid have Western branding on them? Maybe Western took bare Sawyer hulls, trimmed them out, and sold them out here in BC.

I've updated my original post above with Western's reply - essentially they say, not a Clipper, not our moulds.

yarnellboat wrote:
What do you mean that "photos show it's made by WCK"? What photos? Doesn't add up that it would be made by WCK but that WCK/Clipper doesn't know that.

The photo below shows "by Western Canoeing Inc Abbotsford, BC, Canada". But yes, a bit confusing if WCK can't offer much info about it.

Attachment:
oneida 2 d.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by sthwaits on September 15th, 2021, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 6:11 am 

You might be able to match the specs to a model in these scans of old Sawyer Canoe catalogs

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=p ... og%20pages

Sawyer did make hulls for Woodstream (or Woodsman, memory is hazy), and that looks like a color Sawyer offered.

FWIW Sawyer’s economy line, constructed with cheaper materials/outfitting, were badged Oscoda for several models, not sure which Sawyers got rebadged by Woodstream.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 8:31 am 

Mike McCrea wrote:
You might be able to match the specs to a model in these scans of old Sawyer Canoe catalogs

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=p ... og%20pages

Sawyer did make hulls for Woodstream (or Woodsman, memory is hazy), and that looks like a color Sawyer offered.

FWIW Sawyer’s economy line, constructed with cheaper materials/outfitting, were badged Oscoda for several models, not sure which Sawyers got rebadged by Woodstream.

I've had a good look at the old Sawyer catalogues on BWCA and will compare specs to the 190, Sport, and Canadian once I get a chance to see the canoe in person. It could be one of those. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 10:24 am 

It was not uncommon for some of the larger manufacturers to sell canoes to smaller concerns for re-badging.

I have a vague recollection of some RX Bell canoe model that was re-badged by a national sporting goods company. Mad River sold RX Explorers to Gaylen’s, a chain of Virginia based sporting goods stores; they were identical in every way to a MRC Explorer, but retailed a little cheaper.

Of course the original Royalex canoes were made by Uniroyal, aka the “Warsaw Rocket”. Anyone who bought 8 or 10 or 12 naked hulls from Uniroyal, could trim them out and badge them as they liked.

Perception, Blue Hole, Shenandoah and others all originally trimmed and sold Uniroyal-made hulls.

There is (or was) another collection of old Sawyer catalogs, not Hans Solo’s but another Sawyer aficionado. If I can find a bookmark or link to that collection I’ll post it. (Nope, had an old bookmark for it, now “Not Found”)

If you are able to determine that the Oneida II is a re-badged Sawyer model please let us know which one. Sawyer had some fine designs, Dave Yost, whose canoes I appreciate, designed nearly a dozen canoes for Sawyer; the Autumn Mist, DY Special, Legend, ShockWave, Solo 13, StarLight, SummerSong, X-17, 190 Cruiser, and 222 Cruiser.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm 

Maybe somebody just happened to have a WCK sticker somehow, and they just stuck it on that boat?

P.