It is currently January 20th, 2022, 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Freighter Canoes
PostPosted: December 7th, 2021, 8:36 am 

The main reason I chose the modern asymmetrical design was because I couldn't get the large plans for a regular freighter printed out in my tiny town. I had ordered them from Tim Marchetti, and some day i do want to build it. The lines on mine are quite different, there is a fair amount of rocker and flair. I got Martin Step from greenval.com to upsize John Winter's Nippissing freighter to classic dimensions. It is a displacement hull, so it will never plane. I run a suzuki 6 horse 4 stroke. Fully loaded with several hundred pounds I cruise at about 15 to 16 k an hour. Empty it runs at about 18 k an hour. I suspect the Scott would have similar performance in terms of speed. A 9.9 should get you up to 25 k an hour I would think.

I had the 18 foot scott, which is the same boat as the Hudson Bay, just 3 feet shorter. I ran that with a 3.3 horse, and it was a champ in big water.

If you are going to be running in 5 to 6 foot waves....well, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable in the 21 footer. When I'm in three foot waves with mine, running into a head wind, I generally slow it down quite a bit and ride over. With a tail wind, it's a different story.

Tried to include some pics, but this sites pernicious need to decrease image sizes kicked in again.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2021, 4:44 pm 

Nice boat Kinguq, and nicely setup. I like the simplicity of the cuddy!
A question. Do you find the bow bobbles-around when waves are coming at an angle? Is it an issue?

RHaslam, thanks for those performance numbers. I have no intention of running in truly big seas - it's more about having that safety-margin if (when) I do get caught-out.

Sad news... that "trusty old Yamaha 9.9" turns out to be a mid 80's 20" shafted Ever-rude 8hp 2-smoke. Memory is a weird thing.

Found an interesting video. Land and Sea, The Riverman.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=T_-nkiwce-Y

PostPosted: December 8th, 2021, 5:47 pm 

Other than the long shaft, that 8 horse is a great motor. You could raise the transom with a bit of ingenuity and keep using it if you didn't want to buy a new one. New 4 strokes are very expensive, my six horse came in around 2 g's.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2021, 3:30 pm 

That's good to hear @RHaslam - I've a motor to use! Next step is coming-up with a canoe to put it on.

My friend Gary, who grew up in the Fraser River Estuary has mentioned that the Japanese fishermen there built many of their boats at 28.5' as they felt it to be the ideal length for our seas. Excellent boat-builders, superb seamen, and a very successful fleet. I've been scratching my head over the 'why' of that; and am thinking possibly it's increments of 9.5', for hull lengths of 9.5', 19', 28.5', and 38'? Would seem to corelate with what I see working on the water most. I’m starting to question whether I should be looking at smaller 20' canoes, or something much larger...

Unless I sell my motorbike and present canoe (horrible idea) It'd be awhile before I can save up enough to buy $7000 worth of canoe, so am considering building. Time I have, materials are locally available, but money is scarcer. I've been considering an oversize version of the 'Atkinson Traveler', built with a modified stern. This winter's project is to work up some drawings. We'll see how it all pans-out. Thanks for the help!