It is currently March 20th, 2023, 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hiding bottom scratches
PostPosted: December 11th, 2022, 10:01 am 

I don’t give a hoot about bottom scratches. When I have accumulated enough of them to begin wearing the bottom thin I will make the necessary repairs. Some folks feel differently.

Friend Tom visited the shop en route back from a visit to SunkerLand (thanks Wotrock) on the upper Conowingo Pool, and bemoaned the fact that one subsurface rock had put a near full length scratch down the bottom of his spanking new BlackLite Northstar.

I have seen Tom’s older canoes. I have worked on Tom’s older canoes. Tom is a zero maintenance ever kind of paddler, so I didn’t think an easy scratch hider was worth mentioning. I have heard/read that a black Sharpie will hide bottom scratches on carbon boats. I don’t own any carbon hulls, so cannot verify that.

I do now own a clear coat kevlar Bell Northstar. I also own a gold Sharpie, used for tracing cut lines on neoprene and other black materials. The NorthStar already has a plethora of bottom scratches, and some side scratches. What the hell, worth a shot on a couple stem scratches to see what happens.

Before

ImagePC080007 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

After

ImagePC080009 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The scratches in the clear coat vanished without the need to be Sharpie exacting; the gold Sharpie doesn’t show up at all over the black in the tweed, so incautious scribbling works fine. Of course Sharpies are available in almost every color; a red or green or etc Sharpie might hide the white scratches in a gel coated boat. I have a red gel coated boat in the shop, worth a try.

ImagePC080011 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

ImagePC080014 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Not perfect, not quite the same red, but not bad. The gold Sharpie was invisible on the Kev NorthStar.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2022, 7:07 pm 

Like they say, the first scratch is the deepest. (Song in my head.) Especially in regards to a new kevlar canoe.

My kevlar Evergreen Willow that I bought new many, many years ago is full of little bottom scratch and scrape marks.

I now call them character marks. :wink:

You can also buy a product called "Gel Coat Restorer" if anyone is worried about the scratches in their canoe.