It is currently October 31st, 2020, 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 10:50 am 

Looks like it's finally coming out - order information here:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Otter-misc/littlenorth.htm

Should be a great resource for you easterners . . .

JMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 12:40 pm 

So Jon has finaly managed to get it out!
Two years ago he told me (at the WCA Symposium) that it was coming out in late 2005 or early 2006. I guess it does take time to push a project like this through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 2:18 pm 

Since it doesn't come out until March 2007 or thereabouts I am suspecting that they are trying to do some pre-marketing by getting some of us to commit to buying it early. At $95/copy, I think there are trying to decide how big the market for it might be.
The area it covers is becoming reasonably accessible for many of us at a cost that we could afford.
I plan to buy a copy and hopefully I will get the opportunity to travel some more up there before I get too old to do it........ :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 4:20 pm 

Looks like a great book. The PDFs indicate there's lots of photos, detailed maps and route descriptions. I would like a bit more information on rivers covered, sample pages, etc., before ordering. The PDF "atlasinfo.pdf" is not detailed enough where you can actually read the content. I was thinking of a route on the Fawn last summer, and was not able to find very much information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 4:26 pm 

Yes, I think that a more detailed review might get a lot of us a lot more interested.

ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 6:46 pm 

The atlas certainly sounds intriguing. If done right it could be a monumental piece of work. I wonder how complete it is. There are a HELL of a lot of canoe routes in northern Ontario and many of them are very obscure...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 9:56 pm 

If Allan or George is out there, or anyone else in the know..

Do you think there will be an advance copy for people to look at at WCS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 11:00 pm 

I asked Jon some questions about the detail in the Atlas and got this in return.

The coverage is quite detailed- see the attached example- of an early draft of a chapter- there are 50 like this one! The Sutton level of detail on ottertooth is the same level through out the atlas. The atlas covers the following rivers and the connections between them in the area from 50 north to Hudson Bay and James bay to lake Winnipeg. there is an extensive index of places- rivers- lakes; and the intro is over 40 pages covering natural and cultural history as it affects canoe routes and canoe route information.

kasagami
French
N. French
partridge
netogami
Wak
Moose
Metagami
Abitibi
Missinabi
Kwatebohegan
Atikameg
Mississa
Attawapiskat
Otoskwin
Ekwan
Lake
Sutton
Shammattawa
Wiinisk- tribs
Pipestone
Beaverstone
Severn- and all of its many tribs
Albany and all of its many tribs
English and all tribs
Wanipigow
Berens- tribs
Bloodvien- tribs
Pigeon
Poplar
Belanger
Nelson- and many tribs- Guinisao; Mcglaughlin etc
Hayes and tribs
Gods and tribs- major being the Red Sucker
Island lake- and all of its tribs

thanks for your interest

see you at the symposium

May the winds be at your back

Jon

Please Note:
A pdf. attachment came along with the above explanation.I was not able to upload the pictures.( if someone can send me the link for the procedure that Richard gave us for doing this, I will try to put the complete pdf. file on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 8:11 am 

I notice in other threads that the picture Gallery is a bit difficult to access at times.
If anyone wants a copy of the pdf. file that Jon Berger sent to me last night , please email me.

My address is listed on my profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 1:57 pm 

I called Firefly. They told me it is not possible to order the book before at least end of February. :(

I am also wondering about "144 pages; 1,200 maps and illustrations". That's almost 10 maps & illustrations per page. Maybe it's a typo and it should be 120 maps and illustrations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 6:28 pm 

Wolverine wrote:
I called Firefly. They told me it is not possible to order the book before at least end of February. :(

I am also wondering about "144 pages; 1,200 maps and illustrations". That's almost 10 maps & illustrations per page. Maybe it's a typo and it should be 120 maps and illustrations?

I think it's "publisher speak" similar to how they can turn a book that is to be released in two years into "coming soon".

If you check this link:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Reports/Sutto ... -index.htm

I think I can see how the (high) numbers might be right, it's a large format book, I expect that each map or drawing is quite small so it may be possible to have 8 - 10 per page.

One thing really stands out to me......the authors...AMERICANS! (I think) just a bit odd that no locals could/would put in the same effort.

I'm looking forward to this book quite a bit, it's a shame that egress from many of these routes will be so expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2006, 3:12 pm 

recped wrote:
One thing really stands out to me......the authors...AMERICANS! (I think) just a bit odd that no locals could/would put in the same effort.

The Ottertooth Sutton River site clearly states that Tom Terry lives and works in Sioux Lookout in Northwestern Ontario where I too live and work (see http://www.ottertooth.com/Reports/Sutton/bio.htm). This publication is the result of a BIG effort by locals, especially the Nishnawbe, across this region who participated in this production by sharing and contributing both their experience and knowledge of the land and the waterways so others could safely experience and appreciate this special part of Canada.

I did get chance to go through this book and would recommend it to everyone.

The Ottertooth page that describes the book at
http://www.ottertooth.com/Otter-misc/images/atlasinfo.pdf states there are "50 large route maps and 8 large supplementary maps". The image of the two pages describing the routes in the Oxford House region shows the layout with the 1-200,000 scale map on one side and the route descriptions and images on the facing page.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2006, 7:34 pm 

I don't know too much about this book but its my publisher (Boston Mills Press) that's putting it out and I recall them telling me that the co-author Tom Terry lives in Sioux Lookout, ON, has worked in the area for a loooong time guiding, canoe-building, outfitting, doing wilderness consulting and Native-community development work. He's married to a woman who happens to be Native, with family/ancestors indigenous to the area, and they maintain close ties to the Native community. I realize that the author himself is American but I also remember them telling me that he's been traveling the north since the 60s.

It's on my wish list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2006, 7:58 pm 

I don't understand all the flap about one's country of accidental birth.

Its the country that one loves, cares about and invests time in that counts.

There are many Americans that care deeply about the Canadian wilderness and you might know a few, or even not know where they were born.

Or should I just go back to the California desert where I was born and lived for only a couple of years and know jacksquat about except that it is too hot for me though it is insanely gorgeous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2006, 11:46 pm 

Quote:
Or should I just go back to the California desert where I was born

Can't see canoeing as a big desert sport Kim, best stick it out in the puddles of Maine with an occasional side trip to the wilderness this side of the 49th....... :lol: