It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Read A Good Book Lately?
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 10:15 am 

Just wondering if anybody here has begun to ease the end of the season by picking up a book. I don't seem to have the time or desire to read much during the summer months, but I start to pick up a book here and there about this time to tide me over until spring.

After the James Watson debacle and the thread about it CCR I decided to finally read "The Double Helix" .

It was published in 1968, one year after the summer of love. It was not well received in my small circle of feminist friends, so I took them at their word and avoided it. Now I don't see what all the hoopla was about for them.

It is actually an engrossing little tale of the behind the scenes events leading up to the greatest discovery in the last half of the last century. Enough science to describe the problem, not too much so as to lose the layperson. Enough sexism to make one reminiscent of the attitudes of his times, not so much that I found his viewpoints revolting. He was, after all, a 23 year old male finally free from the constraints of his coursework and thrust into a world of enticing females. Need I say more?

I never did find the quote that Hikerneil mentioned:

"that those of such small stature could cast such long shadows indicates how late in the day it was"

Allan Jacobs said it was from "The Double Helix", but I kinda doubted Watson would be self-effacing to the point of disparagement. I was going to start "The Eighth Day of Creation" about the same subject, but as I took it off my bookshelf I instantly noticed its size. I then remembered why it was, as of yet, unread. At 800 some pages of tiny print, I think it will have to wait for some time in February. :lol:

*** Recommended.

I'm now starting "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I read his "The Third Chimpanzee" several years ago, so I thought I'd give this one a try since it was mentioned by RHaslam on the Doc Watson thread (get it..."Doc" Watson). I'll let him know what I think of it when I'm done.

Anyone else reading? If so, what's on you nightstand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 11:27 am 

Actually the last chapter of a trashy novel by Clive Cussler, "Cyclops"... secret American moon base, Russian attacks, written during arms race, before Gorbachev... started it on a canoe trip and it's so easy-reading, at night in the tent, I gotta finish it.

I know I'm supposed to be keeping my mind on nature and such during canoe trips but at the end of the day, there's just too much fatigue usually, and something mindless and entertaining seems to work best.

Those endless portages in Algonquin, they seem to go on and on and on, kilometer after kilometer, they are not for the weak of heart, maybe the weak of mind.

:oops:

At the library are Lewis and Clark's diaries on their Mississppi trip into mountain country, Richard Dawkins' The Selfish Gene, Jay Gould also on evolution... will give those a look once more serious winter reading sets in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 11:50 am 

Glad you are reading the Diamond book Battenkiller, look forward to hearing what you think of it. I read a Robertson Davies book this weekend "Murther & walking spirits", had some very engrossing parts to it, but also dogged out at parts with too much "high faluten" introspection on classic music and literature...but that's just the opinion of someone who still laughs at poop jokes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 12:31 pm 

Hi, I've just finished reading Pierre Elliott Trudeau's "Memoirs". Next on my list is "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman, which I bought at Cole's recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 1:12 pm 

Just started "Emperor of the North" yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 11:31 pm 

Alice Munro's "The View from Castle Rock"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 6:56 am 

Finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy about a week back, and now I'm into A Time Travelers Wife by Audry Niffenegger. Neither is real deep, but work well to settle the mind before my night s sleep. Before those it was Davidson and Rugge's A Complete Wilderness Paddler back in early October. I've go a new canoe guidebook on it's way from Amazon to arrive any day now...

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 7:39 am 

Canada - Indian Treaties and Surrenders From 1680-1902
Vol. 1 Treaty Numbers 1-138

Plenty of "... and annexed to these Presents, and continuing along the said River to a Place called or known by the Name of the Forks, and from thence along the main Stream of the said River..." Really dry stuff, but great bathroom reading.

That and Learn Russian in Six Months.

Jean-Paul Satyr

Post subject: My wife made me read
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 8:53 am 

Does "1000 Baby Names" or "Name Your Baby" count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 9:21 am 

Just finished "Great Heart". Fascinating historical account of a series of expeditions in Labrador in the very early 20th century. There were some very tough times on one of the trips. As tough as it gets. This is one of my favorite books of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 9:28 am 

rpg51 wrote:
Just finished "Great Heart". Fascinating historical account of a series of expeditions in Labrador in the very early 20th century. There were some very tough times on one of the trips. As tough as it gets. This is one of my favorite books of all time.

Ditto: If I had to shuck all of my "canoeing" books" except one, that would be the one to keep.

Post subject: Re: My wife made me read
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 11:34 am 

Worth wrote:

:o
you bet, congrats
is there is short list yet?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 11:34 am 

Read a review of this one somewhere.......

LIFE AT THE BOTTOM, The Worldview That Makes The Underclass
Theodore Dalrymple, Ivan R. Dee, Publisher

then found a copy which I borrowed, on a colleague's desk.......

he needed it back so I had the public library get a copy for me........

after the third re-read I figured it was time to get my own so I ordered one from Amazon....

pake

ps, don't read it unless your interested in what's going on in society today :-?

Post subject: Re: My wife made me read
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 11:37 am 

Worth wrote:

Sure does... you ready to start selling canoes yet? Figure I'll ask for first dibs...

Congrats...

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 1:43 pm 

Yuri Rytkheu, Dream in Polar Fog, which is translated by Ilona Yazhbin Chavasse. It's about a fur trader who loses his hands and is left behind in a native polar village. He has to figure out how to survive and what it means to be human.

Very good!