It is currently September 25th, 2020, 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 10:42 am 

And now for the lighter side: the last book for me was "The Sex Lives of Cannibals". I just couldn't resist the title when browsing at Barnes&Nobles, started to scan a few pages and bought it.
For tripping's rainy days, it's ideal: paperback, not even an inch thick, broken up in chapters that make putting the book down easy and darn interesting. As to the juicy bits: I never found them.... :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sex_Lives_of_Cannibals

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 7:42 am 

The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World
by David Abram

This is a beautiful book that challenges intellectually and overflows spiritually. Academe and sensory experience meet and mingle between the pages.

Not a lazy-minded read, but oh so worthwhile.

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/
http://photosbytessfully.blogspot.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 8:05 am 

Halfway through "The World Without Us", just saw "Legend" with Will Smith last night, and i'm uplifted!

Once we've trashed the world, it's nice to know the big blue ball will still orbit the sun, cleanse itself of our detrius, and bring along it's next intelligent species. Let's hope they stay spiritual/shamanistic and don't invent god/religion again and mess things up all over. :tsk:

Ralph

Post subject: All Hell Broke Loose
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 11:22 am 

All Hell Broke Loose by Wm M Hull.

True story of the Nov 11 Armistice Day Blizzard which turned out to be the worst blizzard in Minnesota history to date.

A bluebird day in mid November bought out all the sportsmen dressed for balmy weather. A dramatic weather change stranded folks and many died due to exposure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 2:21 pm 

Just finished reading Hap Wilson's "The Cabin" and have started Verlen Kruger's "Ultimate Canoe Journey"

So far I have enjoyed both.

Post subject: good read
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 10:06 pm 

Location: Livingston Montana- On the Banks of the Yellowstone River
tgneal wrote:
Just finished reading Hap Wilson's "The Cabin" and have started Verlen Kruger's "Ultimate Canoe Journey"

SAW your Ultimate Canoe Challenge book by Kruger. Verlen was a good friend of mine. I enjoyed that book especially about reading the "route"...he and Landick paddled 35,000 kms in 2 1/2 years so its amazing and interesting to see how all the water routes of N. AMerica are so linked together.
After reading that get a copy of "ALL things are Possible" by Phil Petersen. Its an autobio of Verlens paddling life. Its the ONLY canoe related book I've ever read that has close to 400 paddling photos! Its a great read and amazing that Verlen didnt even get in a canoe until he was 43 years old and still ended up paddling 210,000 kms lifetime miles. I think you can order direct from Phil and he will sign it for you at http://www.verlenkruger.com (i hope thats "legal to say that here". Im not trying to sell anyone a book.)

Post subject: Re: good read
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 10:28 pm 

Hi Norm,
I can't imagine anyone here objecting to your post regarding that book. Myself, I think I'll likely order up a copy myself one of these days. Sounds like a great read. I never had the pleausre to meet Verlen but I have met Landick before. Also have some friends who put up Verlen during his big trip. He was an amazing man and an inspiration for all of us mortals! Thanks for the post.

Cheers...Joe O'

paddletothesea wrote:
tgneal wrote:

SAW your Ultimate Canoe Challenge book by Kruger. Verlen was a good friend of mine. I enjoyed that book especially about reading the "route"...he and Landick paddled 35,000 kms in 2 1/2 years so its amazing and interesting to see how all the water routes of N. AMerica are so linked together.
After reading that get a copy of "ALL things are Possible" by Phil Petersen. Its an autobio of Verlens paddling life. Its the ONLY canoe related book I've ever read that has close to 400 paddling photos! Its a great read and amazing that Verlen didnt even get in a canoe until he was 43 years old and still ended up paddling 210,000 kms lifetime miles. I think you can order direct from Phil and he will sign it for you at http://www.verlenkruger.com (i hope thats "legal to say that here". Im not trying to sell anyone a book.)