It is currently July 15th, 2020, 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: books
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 2:21 pm 

Location: Livingston Montana- On the Banks of the Yellowstone River
Mike there are several old post on this and ive posted about 20 paddling books and reviews on there...do a search in the old post to find it. Others also posted hundreds of books too.
But to keep it short the best paddling book i have ever read is
Water and Sky: by Alan Kesselheim about he and his wifes 440 day paddle trip from Jasper to Hudson bay

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 4:41 pm 

Great Heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm 

Here's a thread with 11 pages of paddling/northern book ideas, including some from yours truly.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=5435

Siren1: Indeed the seeds are sown in childhood. I read those same books as a young lad, and they and other northern life books focused me north for the rest of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 6:00 pm 

I'm not asking for a list of great books...(I know there are threads about book lists....)...just curious which one you guys consider your favourite or special and why..

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 7:36 am 

For me, it's Great Heart, just like a few others have chosen.

It's the story of three canoe trips, pitting two styles of traveling against each other, with ambitious personalities as main characters, with some tragedy and with some exhilarating success. It's a real story retold by paddlers that retraced much of the route to better understand the challenges and decisions. Also, it's got excellent insights into the situation of the first-nation guide and helpers in a "white" adventure.

When I read the book, right on page 1 of the book it grabbed me. As the hired guide travels by train along the Hudson River towards New York (the start of his job), his eyes are on a family of ducks feeding along the shore, and he wonders whether it was a good decision to hire on. That is a situation I can relate to, and I knew I was onto some good narrative...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 8:24 am 

I think I'll take my daughter over to the library and check it out....thanks Guys

(She WAS supposed to be at school and I WAS supposed to go canoeing for a couple hours, but she's sick and it's rainy...... :evil: )

Erhard wrote:
For me, it's Great Heart, just like a few others have chosen.

It's the story of three canoe trips, pitting two styles of traveling against each other, with ambitious personalities as main characters, with some tragedy and with some exhilarating success. It's a real story retold by paddlers that retraced much of the route to better understand the challenges and decisions. Also, it's got excellent insights into the situation of the first-nation guide and helpers in a "white" adventure.

When I read the book, right on page 1 of the book it grabbed me. As the hired guide travels by train along the Hudson River towards New York (the start of his job), his eyes are on a family of ducks feeding along the shore, and he wonders whether it was a good decision to hire on. That is a situation I can relate to, and I knew I was onto some good narrative...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 10:15 am 

I forgot my favorite adventures book:

Les Chroniques de la rivière Kipawa (traduction from the english), Kipawa Rivers Chronicles

written by Scott Sorenson, outfitter at the Kipawa river.

http://www.kipawa.net/viewtopic.php?p=5 ... 58683ce609

Long life to the Kipawa river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 7:22 pm 

Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak. One womans journey through the northwest passage. Victoria Jason. Great read

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 9:41 am 

Would death on the Barrens, Great Heart, or Canoeing with the Cree be appropriate to read to a 7-8 year old, with a vivid imagination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 9:48 am 

cheryl wrote:
Would ...Great Heart ... be appropriate to read to a 7-8 year old, with a vivid imagination?

No problem. Some aspects of leadership and group dynamics may not be understood at that age, but I think the youngster will pick the book again some years later and find new angles to the story.

If s/he is bored by the book, don't push it... :wink:

Post subject: more books
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 1:00 pm 

Location: Livingston Montana- On the Banks of the Yellowstone River
I laugh your arse off roll on the floor good book is
Round Ireland with a Fridge: By Tony Hawks
True story- Guy wins a bar bet that he can hitchhike around the circumferance of Ireland with a refrigerator. Hillarious good read and you feel you're part Irish after reading this...and maybe a little hung over too.

All things are Possible: 100,000 miles by Paddle: Biography on the Late Verlen Kruger. Well not only a good tribute to a great paddler but worth it just to see a book with 400 paddling photos AND IN COLOR!!! The author Phil Peterson will even sign it for you if you order online.

The Journals of Lewis and Clark: Unabridged version by University of Nebraska Press. G. Moulton
Well its the longest document in U.S history comprising over 1 MILLION words!!! Not sure any other 2-1/2 year canoe expedition has been written to that great of detail and length.

Anything by Alan Kessleheim: Water & Sky, Treading the Current, or Going Inside. Three great books that really capture the emotional side of canoe expeditions and ones relationship with nature, himself and with spouse. Vivid and candid discriptions of life on the river. Kesselheim has completed several 400 plus day paddle trips through Canada. One of the few authors that really make you feel you are in the canoe getting ate by blackflies too. More than the typical "me and joe did this" story by far.

Great Heart: Rugge Awesome historical account with the emotions of survival and love all twisting together like a strong eddy behind a log jam.

Cant remember the name of the book by Hans Lindemann The psychological turmoil of survival and determination of his historic account of paddlng across the Atlantic Ocean solo in a Klepper Kayak in the 50's. Not only was this not enough torture, he descided to cross the same big body of water the year later in an African dugout canoe!

And of course: Paddle to the Sea by Hollings Hollings. Any kids book written by a man with two first names,,,, or is it two last names is worth adding to your collection. A classic!!

Fire In the Bones: The Bill Mason story: Cool account of famed docu -film maker / painter/ husband/ father/ oh yeah a paddler too. Like being a part of his family after reading this book.

NM