It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Winter Reading
PostPosted: January 28th, 2004, 8:28 pm 

Curious as to what folks have been reading this winter, any good books, recommendations etc. A few I've read are:

Arctic Crossing - Johnathan Waterman, 2200 miles by ski/dogsled/kayak and sailboat across the Arctic from '97-'99, lots on Inuit culture

The Worst Journey in the World - Apsley Cherry-Garrard, Scott's ill fated Antarctic expedition

Voices from the Summit - essays by some of the worlds leading climbers on the future of climbing

Everest to Arabia - Jamie Clark, across the empty quarter of the Arabian Desert on camel, lots on desert/bedoiun culture

Also reread a few books, The Dangerous River - RM Patterson (DR Zandee's pictures got me on this again!) Bill Mason's books and Hap's Temagami books - it's good to have a trip or 2 lined up 8)

Also a couple of Dan Brown novels, Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code.

Still some good reading time in between snowshoeing, skiing etc while we wait for the "soft water" season to get paddling again.
Sid

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2004, 8:36 pm 

J.R.R Tolkien's

Tree and Leaf
Lord of the Rings
and
The Hobbit

so far.......

I'm a slow reader

but maybe after the Winter Gathering re-read some of the Bill Mason, Kevin Callan books I have to get back into the mood of living outdoors in a canoe.

TO expand a little more, I'm really interested in "Canada, a peoples history" on tv.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2004, 8:55 pm 

Georgi wrote:
TO expand a little more, I'm really interested in "Canada, a peoples history" on tv.

You can buy the box set of the "Canada, a Peoples History" DVD's at WalMart. I was looking at it this past weekend. If I remember right, it was about $58.00 for three DVD's and it had many hours of viewing.

I don't have or can get cable because I live in the country and will not pay the over priced charges for a sat system. So I usually pick up a previously viewed and bargin priced DVD or two each week from BlockBuster or a used DVD/CD store for my collection. But I may splurge in the next week or so and buy the set.

I watched the series on TV a while back and it's a great tribute to Canadian history. And it might be something that could be used as a history teaching tool for my kids too.

The next collection I'm after is the "Great Canadian Rivers" series. But that's another splurge for a later time.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2004, 9:54 pm 
"Cold Burial" about Hornby's ill - fated adventure wintering along the Thelon River. Based on journals found hidden in their woodstove. A great read.

Post subject: Reading
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 12:47 am 

I have just recieved my first issue of "Our Canada" premier edition from readers digest. A very informative and educational magazine all about our great country Canada from coast to coast. Looking forward to subsequent issues packed full of life experiences, travel, picturious scenery, trivia and emotional experiences from canadian sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 1:59 am 

Paterson's "Dangerous River". Excellent reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 7:39 am 
"Barrow's Boys" by Fergus Fleming (1998) is a very entertaining history of British exploration in the 19th century, mostly in the Canadian Arctic but also including a few expeditions to Africa and Antarctica.

In addition to all the usual harrowing survival (and non-survival) episodes, Fleming focuses on the interplay of the odd personalities of Franklin, Back, John and James Ross, et al as they jockeyed for position in the British Admiralty under the "guidance" of John Barrow.

I got this book as a Christmas present and I started reading it somewhat reluctantly, assuming that it was just a rehash of the standard biographies and journals. But it quickly drew me in and I found it to be a great read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 8:18 am 

A book I've had for years:

Algonquin Adventue by James Dickson.

I read it every few years. I've been along the route followed in the book many times. Some great rapids and falls. Very scenic.

It gives some good descriptions of tripping practices back in the late 1800's

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 8:31 am 

Saw Master and Commander last month then started reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. Good stuff!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 1:55 pm 

I just finished reading "Ada Blackjack: A True Story of Survival in the Artic" by Jennifer Niven and can highly recommend it.

It's about five people sent to inhabit Wrangel Island by Vilhjalmur Stefansson in the 1920's, with only one surviving. Seems people had a habit of dying on his expeditions.

Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2004, 11:56 pm 
Into the Wild - John Krakauer - into the wilds of Alaska to live and die

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2004, 9:57 am 

I have, in the last year, caught the "canoeing book" bug.I now have over 100, and hope to list them, with comments, ( and Richard's help) on the site soon. Here are a few of my favourites.......... ( sorry, I am writing this away from home ............ie at work......and don't remember all of the author's names off the top of my head!)

1)Dangerous river - Patterson ( of course.....but also check out the sequel "The Buffalo Head" about ranching in the Alberta foothills..he also wrote a book "Far Pastures that I haven't read yet!)

2) Cache Lake Country - living in the shining tree country of N Ontario in the 1940's

3) The Incomplete Anglers - fishing in Algonquin in the 1940's........hilarious! Winner of the Gov. General's award for humour.

4) ANYTHING by Sigurd F Olson, especially Singing Wilderness, Listening Point and his account of a canoe trip down the Churchill river in the 1950's, "The Lonely Land" ( In my Humble Opinion, the best writer on canoeing and wilderness anywhere..he should have been a Canadian !)
:lol:

5) ANYTHING by Grey Owl, especially "Tales of an Empty Cabin".....yes he was a fraud, but he was also unique in his early approach to conservation. Only in Canada do we dismiss our prophets at every opportunity :oops:

6) The canoe and white water ( 1970's)...has a great summary of early furtrade history

7) Fur Trade Routes then and now - Eric Morse - Protoge` of Sigurd Olson's

8 ) Canoe care and selection ( Pinkerton, 1914) surprisingly relevant!

9) Survival of the Bark Canoe - McPhee - essential!

10) Wintergreen - stories from a cabin north of Kingston.Will check for author's name if anyone wants......fairly recent book. Awesome!

I got most of these off of e-bay and from my local used book stores. Hopefully I can get to a more complete listing soon.

Salute!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2004, 11:14 am 

This mid-winter I read again Jack London's short story, To Build a Fire.

Before retirement, when still teaching, I would read it aloud to my classes of early teens. After the first snow of the season the London story was a good “filler.” In southeastern Pennsylvania the first two inches can set the population into a frenzy. To Build a Fire had a few kids thinking about more than snowballs.

Watersong, the list above could keep me busy…………thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2004, 12:53 pm 

Glad to help George.

There's a lot more where those came from !

Try also " The Romance of the Canadian Canoe" by John Murray Gibbon
I'll add more when I have the time ( ie I'm not at work............ :tsk: )

Dave

Last edited by Watersong on January 30th, 2004, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2004, 5:07 pm 

I passed by the North York Library and noticed a book sale. Some real old books in there. I found this book that was reprinted in the 70s. It is a Cdn Tourism book from 1867. Talks about good places to hunt and fish. etc
I had a quick glance through it and it's pretty interesting! Have yet to read more.

Maybe I'll use it for my trip planning through Lower Canada . hehehehe :D

Jeremy