It is currently July 15th, 2020, 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Somewhere Out West
PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 1:42 pm 

This book is the story of Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. But it
is more than that. It is the story of tenacious people in their relentless pursuit of an extraordinary way of life. With few exceptions these people were, and still are, nameless and faceless. They exist in a land of shadows we call the past, a period as vast as it is murky. It is a period that, despite its intrinsic opacity, never fails to stir our curiosity and imagination. The past is the ultimate abyss.

http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120137

follow the ebook link to download

AND

It was October of the year 1919 when I first went into northern
Saskatchewan. While working in the harvest fields of the southern part of the province, I had made it known that I wanted to get as far away from civilization as possible to hunt and trap for a living. I had spent a few years on my homestead near Maple Creek and I had been in British Columbia, yet I had never found anything to my liking in the way of establishing a permanent occupation.
The news of my intentions spread among the harvest hands. Coworkers Ernest Stender of Kisbey, Saskatchewan and Harry Hughes, late of the state of Oregon, were as anxious to see the North as I was.
We entered into a partnership. We bought an outfit of traps, guns, skis, tent, folding camp stove with collapsible stovepipes, and all the other tools and supplies we would need to spend a winter in the bush, then shipped it all by rail to Prince Albert.
Then we purchased one-way railroad tickets to this jumping-off place for the land of our dreams, a land of opportunity, adventure, and peace.

http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120141

follow the ebook link to download