It is currently October 13th, 2019, 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 11:29 am 

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/program/10214724526-02.01.2010-07:10-2-cesty-do-krajin-pulnocniho-slunce.html

and click play button on the right side ("Prehrat tento dil").

Note that about 22 min video is in Czech, but is nice to see even if you don't understand the language.

These guys decided to do Mountain River without expensive fly-in option, as old voyageurs used to do. They drove somewhere close to the source of Caribou River and portaged first 8 km on the old road with destroyed bridges (note - with the exception of 1, they did all portages single pass, carrying 4+ weeks of food, inflatable canoes, etc; the exception was portage over the pass from Caribou River, and they say in the movie it was a mistake, one pass would have been easier & faster. As good Czechs (and that goes for us Slovaks as well) they carried with them guitar, but didn't carry sat phone, PLB or SPOT. In 10 days they were able to get through 200 km to the headwaters of Mountain River - that's pretty impressive. They stopped at Fort Good Hope on McKenzie River, waiting 2 days for outboard motor to be flown in, meanwhile being hosted by local Indians. They finished the trip at the end of McKenzie. Unfortunately, movie doesn't say anything about the dates.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 11:31 am 

Fantastic shots! ...and a much different approach to tripping up there by that group. It's a long movie and my browser "stuttered" at times, but quite worth-while watching. Thanks!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 1:59 pm 

An interesting film/video.

It impressed me that they started with a 8 km portage on the old road. Not many begin trips with such an arduous start. Plus, they did the portage in as single carry, a feet in itself, not to mention the fact that they were carrying supplies for a month (not a week or two), such as gear and food, as well as inflatable canoes. They were loaded with big packs on top of big packs.

It was also impressive b/c they chose the route less travelled, took a somewhat unique access and egress approach, and travelled from a foreign country. All good stuff.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2010, 11:24 pm 

I can see nothing!
It tells me I don't have the proper player installed, yet I do have Windows Media player 11 installed!
What gives?

When a new source of taxation is found it never means, in practice, that the old source is abandoned. It merely means that the politicians have two ways of milking the taxpayer where they had one before.
H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 5:46 pm 

On the given page http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/program/102 ... lunce.html , I clicked on the link that said "..[something Czech]..video" and the proper page appeared.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 3:22 pm 

Thanks Wolverine.
I posted a link to the report, in Northwest Territories Route Information:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=33935

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 2:14 pm 

enjoyed the video, thanks!
more like this please!
:D