It is currently September 17th, 2019, 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 9:26 am 

If you are planning on climbing Gulch Hill, it has two peaks separated by a beaver pond... the east peak has bare rock exposures with a view over Lumsden and Georgian Bay, while the west peak is forested.

A good all-aftertnoon hike is to park the canoe at the old OSA-George portage, then bushwhack uphill towards Teardrop lake. On the way is a cliff, with an east-facing view over OSA, Killarney and Silver Peak. The east shore of Teardrop has a cliff and you might be able to see beavers swimming down below. Stick to the highest ground going west along the ridge leading to the Gulch Hill peak... it's mostly stunted oaks and easy to walk through. On the return to OSA, you might get to see the view to the east towards Silver Peak in sunset light if you time it right. The descent from there to the canoe at the port is fast, only about 15 min so hang around up there and enjoy the view... good luck.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 8:10 pm 

Has anybody ever bushwacked to Gulch hill from Muriel lake? I wonder if it is faster or easier than starting from OSA? Also i heard that there's a hill called "The Dome" which is north of Muriel Lakre or NW of OSA. Has anyone ever been there? Can you share directions? Thanks!

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 11:18 pm 

"The Dome" (if I am thinking of the correct hill) can be accessed from the OSA/Muriel portage. Travel in 100 meters or so from OSA, or come up the hill from Muriel until you are on the flat section near OSA.....look north....bushwhack till you find quartzite....start climbing. Enjoy the view towards Baie Fine and Artists lake from the top.

Watch for signs of wolves and bear along the way!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: February 18th, 2016, 11:58 am 

Quote:
Has anybody ever bushwacked to Gulch hill from Muriel lake? I wonder if it is faster or easier than starting from OSA?

I watched a group of hikers descend down Gulch Hill towards Muriel, watching them through binoculars while having lunch at a Muriel campsite... so it can be done although that group looked like hard-core mountaineers. They rested for a bit at the shoreline and then back up Gulch Hill they went, returning the same way. Covering distance fast and maybe they came in from George lake judging by the speed at which they were going (pretty damn fast).

It looked like steep going by the way they were descending (very carefully) and after I saw that I decided to take the easier and more gradual way to GH from the OSA-George port.

PS... watching people from cliffs is a great way to spend time in Killarney if you bring binoculars, along with all the other sights that become visible from up there.... on a really clear day you might be able to see Tobermory in Georgian Bay, so I've read somewhere. Barely visible for me if that was what I was seeing.