It is currently December 15th, 2019, 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: last few strips
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 11:12 am 

A question for you experienced folk. I am currently putting in the last 6 strips, i have noticed for the last couple that they seem to fit really tight. I can slip the two ends in and the middle is buckled up, i have been considering the strip to fit properly when it takes some pressure to push that buckle down, but not too much. i have been nervouse to take more material off the ends, to a point where you dont need to push it in really tight.... does this make sense?
I guess what i am saying is, that i am concerned that the bottom of the hull will want to spring out of shape if all of these strips have alot of pressure in them. but its not alot, if i try to force them in when the strip is too long, it will start to lift the other side of the hull off of the molds, and i will take it back out and make the strip shorter.

whoow... i hope that makes sense to someone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 11:33 am 

Erik,

Lightly sand the edges to fit them in. You may end up with some gaps if too much is taken off which can be filled with epoxy and wood dough!

A little bow is fine. I look for about 1" above the hull then carefully pop it into the other strip. The last piece will be flat and meet the centerline. This part for me was nerve wraking but it works. You'll be fine.

Got to like that foot ball shape. :wink:

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 12:31 pm 

When in a hurry I do these strips in two pieces. First fit one in and end it near a frame. Next fit the other end leaving plenty of overplap, push it into place and then cut it off with a slight overlap. Remove both pieces, put on glue and push them into place. Very fast, accurate but not quite so pretty as continuous strips.

For continuous strips I fit one end tightly and then fit the other using a wide and very sharp chisel. Jam one end into place and then gradually cut off the other until you get a tight fit. Remove, apply glue and push into place. You must use sharp tools and not try to take too much off at a time.

Supper easy way. Strip boat up fully on one side. Tack a strip of wood off center enough to allow a panel saw (Rockwell 4.5" diameter blade) to cut off the strips1/4" off center. Now plank up other side leaving strips to hang over. Repeat with the cutting on the new side. This will leave a 1/2" gap right down the center. Cut a piece 1/2" wide and maybe a bit thicker than your strips and glue in place. Plane down to get right shape. You can also do this with a router I think but I have never tried it.

I have used all three depending on my mood.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 1:56 pm 

For my last few canoes I have used the first "quick" method described by John. Trying to fit those last few full pieces in can be a real mind bender, and it's not suited for my brand of butchery. I always make two piecers now, it is way easier, and no-one notices a couple of simple butt joints on the bottom anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 5:42 pm 

I use John's method 2, except I put and mark a piece of tape at the center station. After both ends are fitted relative to the tape mark, I glue and install them. I fit the ends starting with a utility knife, a small plane and finally sandpaper.

Dan