It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 8:17 pm 

Cut it into small pieces and weigh each piece, then add them together.

Jean-Paul Satyr

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 9:37 pm 

Try using your digital fish scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2005, 10:18 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

mrcanoe wrote:
Cut it into small pieces and weigh each piece, then add them together.

ROTFLMAO

But, then you would have to add the weight of the duct tape used in the reconstruction.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2005, 8:09 am 

Erik,

I think getting close is good enough because the canoe will weigh a lot more when it is wet or has loon shit on the bottom of it. That's if your that concern for portaging reasons.

My canoe weighs exactly 51.25375 lbs +/- 5 lbs after I built it and that's close enough for me :wink:

Boneli

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject: Weighty matters
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2005, 8:48 am 

Boneli wrote:
I think getting close is good enough because the canoe will weigh a lot more when it is wet or has loon shit on the bottom of it. That's if your that concern for portaging reasons.
Boneli

I stopped weighing canoes because I didn't find the minor (overweight) variations to be of any consequence. If I come across one that seemed to be abnormally out of range I'd weight it out of cursosity.

The only reason I'd weight them now would be if I was dealing with boats where weight was a prime consideration - a couple of extra pounds on a 65lb Royalex hull doesn't mean a thing to me, but a couple of extra pounds on an ultra-light kevlar/carbon/whatever boat means the difference between paying extra for a light layup and and going with the standard construction.

If I'm paying more for less I'd weight it.

Post subject: Re: Weighty matters
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2005, 1:04 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
The only reason I'd weight them now would be if I was dealing with boats where weight was a prime consideration - a couple of extra pounds on a 65lb Royalex hull doesn't mean a thing to me, but a couple of extra pounds on an ultra-light kevlar/carbon/whatever boat means the difference between paying extra for a light layup and and going with the standard construction.

If I'm paying more for less I'd weight it.

Mike, but even that really doesn't matter. I have a friend that recently bought a Lightning Tech Bell Flashfire to save exactly one pound over his Black Gold Flashfire. I about laughed in his face when he told me, but bit my tongue out of respect for his feelings. This is an obvious end member type situation of someone who has lost the forest through the trees. There isn't a single person on this board that should care about 5 pounds of weight on any canoe.

But. I've been known to weigh a couple of my boats, just out of curiosity. They were all within a pound or two of the manufacturers estimated weight. But I wouldn't sell any of them for being a five pounds heavier than they are.

PK

PK

Post subject: Re: Weighty matters
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2005, 1:18 pm 

pknoerr wrote:

Mike, but even that really doesn't matter.

There isn't a single person on this board that should care about 5 pounds of weight on any canoe.

PK

If I had paid the premium for an lightweight or ultralight lay up and found that it came in 5 pounds heavier than speced I'd care. That can be close to the weight difference between a standard lay-up and a more expensive lightweight composite.

Actually, thinking about it, not just composites. 5 pounds is even closer to the difference between some R-84 or Royalite hulls and their Royalex twins. I don't especially care for R-84/Royalite, but if I traded the increased durability of Royalex to save those couple of pounds I'd be an unhappy camper if i found my R-84 canoe weighed the same as the specs for the Royalex version.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2005, 8:20 am 
In America the given weight of a canoe may be reliable (enough), but
once I bought a canoe from a German company that turned out to be
some 33 lbs (15 kg) heavier than advertised. And it is still
advertised as 33 lbs (15 kg) lighter...

Dirk Barends

Post subject: Overweight champs
PostPosted: February 24th, 2005, 8:39 am 

Dirk, I have a friend with an Old Town Pack that was built in 1991, right around the time that the composition of Royalex changed and there were widespread problems with quality control of the Royalex sheets.

He broke the thwart on his Pack a few years ago and never bothered to put a new one in. I mentioned to him that I was surprised that the boat would hae any rigidity along the gunwale line with no thwart and he told me to go pick his boat up and see what I thought.

I picked it up and what I thought was "Damn, this thing weighs at least 45 pounds, maybe 50". It has to be nearly 50% oerweight.

The boats that seem to be most consistent in weighing more than the mfg's specs are poly canoes. Old Towns Discovery series were major scofflaws at understating the boat's weight.

But then anyone portaging a Discovery 174 for any distance probably didn't want to know tha it actually weights close to 100 lbs :doh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2005, 1:43 pm 

Thanks for all the tips. I will do the bathroom scale as described and average out the results.

I agree, who cares about +/- a few pounds. I built the canoe years ago and have in my head the magic 55lb number. It's a 16 ' Cedarstrip Epoxy Prospector out of Canoe Craft.

It is undergoing a re and re this winter and I just want to confirm what the impact is of some new cloth/epoxy etc.

Also my buddies have complained for years that it was to heavy (violins) and that there was too much glass on it and that it couldn't possibly weigh what I said etc, etc.

Last year they purchased some new Kevlar for big $$$$'s and are telling me how light they are funnily enough the number they use is 55lbs. I portaged them both and I don't see the difference between mine and theres except the price.

I appreciate all the responses and thought and as soon as I have a weight I will post.

But as with most things like this the priority is to maintain braggin rights round the campfire.

Thanks All

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 12:08 pm 

Nemo wrote:
But as with most things like this the priority is to maintain braggin rights round the campfire.

Thanks All

That makes it easy. Do what boat builders everywhere do. Lie.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 12:40 pm 

Jwinters wrote:
That makes it easy. Do what boat builders everywhere do. Lie.

Snicker :D

In reality, I don't think manufacturers actually weigh 1 of every 10 canoes that they produce. There is no doubt that some canoes get weighed, and who knows what the manufacturer uses in their sales materials... it could be the lightest, the heaviest, an avererge... or any other number. Of the mass produced boats that I own, both were nuts on based on the info that they provide. But on the other hand, there is no doubt that some manufacturers are willing to bend the truth a little about the canoes they produce.

For vacuum bagged composite boats, there is little doubt that variability should be pretty minimal... 2 pounds maybe. For the thermoformed boats, it's pretty obvious that Uniroyal (or other manufacturers in the case of the polyethylene boats) produce the sheets (to manufacturers specs).... But who knows how close these come to spec weights... Uniroyal seems to have enough problems with the sheets not expanding evenly, or stretching in the molding process that who has any faith in the weights of the materials being provided to the hull builders?

PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 9:50 pm 

Fish scales. You gotta be kiddin' They're all waaay out of whack. Most of the 5 pounders my friends catch only show as about 3 1/2 lb on those fish scales!

Like I said, waay off! :cry: :doh:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.