It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 1:09 pm 

Great job....where did you find the hardware to make the removable yoke? I have been tempted to make one for my cedar osprey as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 1:58 pm 

Ramound wrote:
Quote:
Great job....where did you find the hardware to make the removable yoke? I have been tempted to make one for my cedar osprey as well.

I made all the parts from scatch as per M.steps description
http://www.greenval.com/FAQsolo-yoke.html
very time consuming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 2:52 pm 

There's also MadKanuist's yoke design:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/madcanoeist/yoke/yoke.html

I'd probably use this with bungees, which always have other uses on trips (eg. shock cords on tents), and modify it somewhat - deep dished for appearances and carrying comfort, and maybe more surface area on the hook block. Without actually having built one, it seems like a good, minimalist design that could be built very light with some fiberglass reinforcement at the stress points..

MK, I hope you haven't patented this yet...

:D

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2005, 4:38 pm 

I liked Lloid's design too,looks easier to make,looks light,but it looked like it can move around abit.Could be wrong!Maybe Lloid could answer that.
I wanted one that would be solid and I like to make things that are a challenge to make and tinker with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2005, 12:56 am 

Great craftsmanship, Dave. I particularily like how you've let the inner gunwale into the decks. That's a nice detail. If you don't mind me asking, did you make the cuts with a handsaw or a power tool? I just ask because those joints look like they've been made perhaps with a fine japanese saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2005, 6:38 pm 

Chris K wrote:
Great craftsmanship, Dave. I particularily like how you've let the inner gunwale into the decks. That's a nice detail. If you don't mind me asking, did you make the cuts with a handsaw or a power tool? I just ask because those joints look like they've been made perhaps with a fine japanese saw.

I used a small dove tail saw.I wanted to buy a Dozoki (SP) but I all ready went over budget with the table saw,router,planes chisels,clamps and many other things.
Have to leave somthing for the next poject :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2005, 7:17 pm 

I think it's always more satisfying to make that kind of cut by hand. Good on you. I hear what you say about the price of the tools. I just build them up one at a time. Clamps are surprisingly expensive, hey?

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Make sure you inform everyone of how it (she?) paddles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2005, 6:41 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
There's also MadKanuist's yoke design:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/madcanoeist/yoke/yoke.html

I'd probably use this with bungees, which always have other uses on trips (eg. shock cords on tents), and modify it somewhat - deep dished for appearances and carrying comfort, and maybe more surface area on the hook block. Without actually having built one, it seems like a good, minimalist design that could be built very light with some fiberglass reinforcement at the stress points..

MK, I hope you haven't patented this yet...

I just discovered this thread. :oops:
Nope, I haven't patented my yoke design. I doubt that there's enough demand to justify it.

Both of my plywood canoes use this design. The ash yoke pictured on the newer boat (yellow pads) was much heavier & stronger than required, so I made a replacement of mahogany, dished to fit my shoulders & comfortable without foam pads. It is attached using webbing & fastex buckles. My kids hate it because doesn't fit their shoulders.

Strength isn't a problem. The yoke can't move because it is pulled tightly against the stopblocks by the strap or cord.