It is currently November 14th, 2019, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 20th, 2005, 4:57 pm 

Even though there is still a mountain of snow in my yard, my thoughts are turning to boats. A good sign given that Easter is next weekend.

I have been looking at the Osprey and Osprey II, and have found a kit price at Noahs, but thought I would ask the people who have built as to the actual costs for thest boats. If you have built an Osprey or an Osprey II how much did you spend? It would seem to me that the Osprey II would cost less, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, anyone have a line on a kit for the Osprey II?

Further, if you have any comments about either design I'd be pleased to hear them.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2005, 6:26 pm 

I have the original Osprey II. I tell people that it cost $800, though I never really kept track. My website has info on the boat's construction & on materials required. You should be able to come up with a cost estimate from that.
Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2005, 6:36 pm 

Just finished a Osprey, bought my kit at Noahs,can't remember all the extra costs(may be it's best not too know) the strong back and the stations cost about 300.00,extra cherry for the seat and cane,plans for seat,125.00 extra sand paper not enough in the kit. there was more little things I had to get so would think you could build it for about 1500.00 if you don't get too carried away with extras.
I also had to buy lots of clamps a block plane,spokeshave,table saw,router,mortising jig,and likely other things I don't want too remember :wink: But all will come in handy on other projects.

Jump in an get building, It's great fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2005, 6:58 pm 

If you have access to woodworking tools, table saw, router table, stuff like that, and if you cheap it on the strongback, you can build a strip osprey for about 700. If you already have a strongback, and build all your own seats, decks, tharts, etc probably about 500.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2005, 8:36 am 

Thanks for the replies. Mad K, your website was very informative, and the pictures on Dave H's site were great, too. There seems to be a difference in price between the stripper and S&G versions, and I think there would be a difference in the amount of time both boats would take to complete. I have built a S&G dinghy before, and a 16' driftboat in plywood, so the boatbuilding bug is something that is firmly rooted in my system. I bought a tandem sit on top kayak last year as a family boat, and it's great for the beach and car camping. It leaves a lot to be desired when using it solo, however, and it sure is heavy, so I thought a solo canoe would be a nice addition to the fleet for exploring before the whole crew went out and for some solo tripping.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 7:49 am 

Well, I phoned the folks at Noah's yesterday. They gave be an estimate for a materials kit for the Osprey II at $800.00. That is for a materials kit, not a kit where all the panels are cut out. I guess you could build the Osprey II for about half the cost of the Osprey if you used kits. You may even be able to save on the strongback if you build the stitch and glue version, but I'm not sure.

Lots of food for thought. I still haven't made up my mind yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 4:14 pm 

Hack wrote:
Well, I phoned the folks at Noah's yesterday. They gave be an estimate for a materials kit for the Osprey II at $800.00. That is for a materials kit, not a kit where all the panels are cut out.

Did their kit include brushes, sandpaper, etc? What wood did they use for trim?

My trim is lumberyard mahogany & probably cheaper than what Noah's will provide. It's not as tough as ash, but is knot free, very fine grained & rot resistant. I used the light colour mahogany because the dark stuff is much heavier & harder.

Quote:
I guess you could build the Osprey II for about half the cost of the Osprey if you used kits. You may even be able to save on the strongback if you build the stitch and glue version, but I'm not sure.

I built the 1st boat with a strongback & the 2nd boat without. The 2nd boat neatly pulled into shape as I stitched it, but it had more rocker than planned. I'll use a strongback if I build another because it forces the boat to conform to the design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 8:32 pm 

Hi Madkanuist. I'm not too sure of the specifics of the kit. It was more of a ballpark. The person I talked to didn't seem to be aware that a CNC kit was included in the PDF catalog, but that was a couple of years old. I used the list of materials from your website and I think about seven to nine hundred dollars should do everything. You seem really happy with your Osprey II which is encouraging. The difference in cost and time between the two versions seems significant.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2005, 9:37 pm 

I just downloaded Noah's PDF 2002 catalogue & as you say, they showed a kit with CNC cut plywood panels. When I built mine, I just had tables of offsets for each panel, with no indication of how I was to nest the panels on the sheets of plywood. If available, a CNC kit would sure simplify things, though it would cost more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 1:26 pm 

FWIW,

On my Quetico, I just put the 2ed fill coat on, and I'm at 170 hours and about $900US.

The $ could be lower if I used a different epoxy, I use System 3 Clear Coat to wet and S3 SB112 to fill, about $285 with shipping.

Could also reduce the glass a bit if you use the standard 1 layer. I have multiple layers at about $285 US. (I bought 2 full rolls from Thayercraft, it's just over $1/yd.)

The strips cut from Aye grade cedar, about $120.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2005, 10:04 pm 

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered plans for the Osprey II. My goal is to build the entire boat for $900.00 including the cost of the plans. Wish me luck!