It is currently December 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2005, 7:17 am 

PeterPan wrote:
II have been designing and building boats since the late 70s. I have read anything I could find in print on canoe design since that time. It is not the most complex of subjects, though subtle I suppose. So far I am still waiting (though I don't need it any more myself) to read a single book that does something other than a self-serving support of the designer's efforts. The ABC of canoebuying kind of thing. It is possible to write a book that actually serves the interest of the individual who would like to learn or practice small boat design. Outside of YDI etc... I don't think it has been done, and not there for canoes. The subject is usually rendered more impressively complex rather than less. So the good news is that the field remains open. I recall the fight over who could best describe the function of a paddle, in the old Canoesport Journal, as an example of the kind of writing that probably helps no one, though doubtless amusing to many.

My own self-serving efforts are the best I can do (ahrd to do better than the best you can do). I found it dificult to write about other people's designs because one has to be critical (negative as well as positive) and that is hardly fair since the "written about" designer can't respond. So, you end up writing about your own efforts sort of like L. Francis Herreschoff's book on yacht design.

As for software, there is plenty of it out there for anyone who wants it. Some of it free and some of it for sale.

You might want to lead off a discussion on the function of a paddle here because people always find it interesting.

John Winters

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2005, 10:21 pm 

A book format is way better for me, I don't handle sitting at the computer for long stretches. Thankfully I can kneel or sit in the canoe for a lot longer... Plus, a book is a lot easier on the eyes (and I have a 21" monitor).

Damn, I must be getting old.

.Ranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2005, 11:07 am 

Books take up alot of space on my shelf. I cherish them. CDs end up scratched and lost. Its a shame. I like getting hard copy whenever I can. I especially like non-tree based paper or at least 75-80% post consuber unbleached if possible. I know this drives your cost up, not down. However, I beleive somethings are worth spending money on. Books are right at the top of that list.

I think after food and rent I spend more money on books every year than any other single item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2005, 8:33 am 

senior wrote:
celebrex - some website

OOOOH, look, we've got our own spammer!

Whaddya think Richard? Set a fee for advertisement on CCR pages - wait, you've got that already! but you can tailor it for paddling-unrelated business - bill them for it and if they don't caugh up the money, sue them for it. You've got the IP address so the "senior" can be tied to the internet establishment and we've got a sucker to help pay for this great website.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2005, 8:41 am 

SPAM?

I thought it was part of the religious debate just mis-posted to the wrong forum. :D :D :D

John Winters