It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paper boats
PostPosted: October 6th, 2005, 8:49 pm 

I was reading about a canoe constructed from paper and covered with fibreglass. Seems like a really cheap method; rent a canoe for a mold and away you go.
But...is this method functional? If it is, how come I've never seen one...maybe I answered my own question? Anybody...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 8:30 am 

i wouldnt paddle one... well ok perhaps at a concervation area for a day, but im not loading it up for a week in the wilderness!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 8:42 am 

I'm not clear on what you mean. A layer of paper sandwiched between 2 layers of fiberglass? I can't see what the function of the paper would be in this case. Paper mache covered with fiberglass? Seems like you would have a tough time avoiding voids & getting a smooth surface.

Cardboard and duct tape boats seem like a more viable option. :D

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

Post subject: 2 links
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 9:08 am 

Here are 2 links on paper canoes.

http://kcupery.home.isp-direct.com/PBArtic/TandC.html

http://www.canoe-kayak.org/pages/h25.html

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 9:18 am 

SteveBoal wrote:
I'm not clear on what you mean. A layer of paper sandwiched between 2 layers of fiberglass? I can't see what the function of the paper would be in this case. Paper mache covered with fiberglass? Seems like you would have a tough time avoiding voids & getting a smooth surface.

Cardboard and duct tape boats seem like a more viable option. :D

Come on, haven't you ever made a card board canoe before?

Barry

"Preservation of our waterways comes from those with little voices, big paddles, strong backs, weak minds and thick hides with which to ignore the bug bites." Organizer of "The Wabakimi Project"

Post subject: Re: Paper boats
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 10:35 am 

Alex1 wrote:
I was reading about a canoe constructed from paper and covered with fibreglass. Seems like a really cheap method; rent a canoe for a mold and away you go.
But...is this method functional? If it is, how come I've never seen one...maybe I answered my own question? Anybody...?

There've been a number of experiments done in using alternate materials for construction of canoes, most notable is probably the concrete canoe challenge students in university engineering programs sometimes participate in. Most of the paper canoe processes didn't involve fiberglass.

You wouldn't need to use paper to replicate a rented canoe, there'd be better ways of going about that if it was your goal. Using paper in a fiberglass boat would be counter productive. The paper has virtually no structural strength, it would mearly soak up more resin and make the boat heavier. In a wood strip/ fiberglass canoe, the wood seperated the layers of fiberglass which contributes signifcantly to the strength of the finished product. To understand how that works, just think of the difference in strength between a solid rod of metal and a pipe. For the same amount of material, the pipe will be much stronger than the solid rod.

That said, there've been a lot of fiberglass boats that have used paper as a decorative element in the layup. Old Town used to have one hanging in the factory where they'd used psychedilic paisley wall paper in a clear pigment. I've seen kayaks laid up with photos and stories from magazines embeded in the fiberglass.

Post subject: Re: Paper boats
PostPosted: October 7th, 2005, 3:47 pm 

Alex1 wrote:
But...is this method functional? ..?

Works OK on paper!
Sorry, just couldn't resist. :oops:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.