It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2001, 10:59 am 

Hello, this is Matt from Atlanta - I am part of a group of 4-5 beginner-intemediate whitewater open boaters that really enjoy canoe camping. There are no ww rivers in the U.S southeast to trip for more than a night or two, so I have been looking north, to Maine and Quebec, for a week-long September trip to do on a nice river w/o a lot of traffic. The only rivers in Maine that I have found are the Alligash and the St. Croix, but the Alligash seems overdone, and the St. Croix seems pretty flat. I started reading up on the Quebec rivers, and they sounded magnificent! Am planning on doing the Bonaventure next spring/summer, but cannot find a suitable river for the fall...
can anyone suggest a trip that matches these specs? Thanx - Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2001, 4:26 pm 

You may want to call 1-877-BON-JOUR Which is Quebec's tourism info line. Ask for their guide Of Wildlife reserves and get the phone Number for the Federation Quebecoise Du Canot et Du Kayak. You'l find a lot of routes that match your needs in La Verendrye (348 km from Montreal) There are also alot of spectacular remote runs going up to James Bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2001, 6:39 pm 

http://www.sepaq.com ask for pamplet "The Wildlife Reserves of Quebec" "Guide of Wildlife reserves' canoe routes"
Quebec Canoe & Kayak
www.canot~kayak.qc.ca
info@canot-kayak.qu.ca
The base cample Domaine (La Verendrye)is opened Mid may and you can contact them Canot.laverendrye@citenet.net
(819)435-2331
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2001, 8:08 pm 
Go for the Dumoine. It is a fun river, with limited traffic, especially if you miss the weekend start or finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2001, 1:03 am 

What level of ww are you comfortable in? How much flatwater and/or portaging and will you have multiple vehicles available for shuttle.

You mention a one week trip, how many days can you have on the water/travel?

There are many many routes in Quebec that would be suitable. In September there will be very few other paddlers.

Ben