It is currently October 31st, 2020, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2006, 6:00 pm 

Kim Gass wrote:
I don't understand all the flap about one's country of accidental birth.

Its the country that one loves, cares about and invests time in that counts.

There are many Americans that care deeply about the Canadian wilderness and you might know a few, or even not know where they were born.

:clap: :clap:
Exactly!
We may not agree with or like G. Bush, but that does not make 'American' some kind of dirty word!!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject: Them Americans
PostPosted: December 5th, 2006, 7:04 pm 

Quote:
We may not agree with or like G. Bush, but that does not make 'American' some kind of dirty word!!

Many of us don't agree with or like G. Bush either!!! :-?

I hope it doesn't take too long to earn back some good will in the world.

And so this isn't a total hijack...... Can't wait until the Atlas comes out!

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2006, 2:11 am 

OK obviously I didn't make the intent of my comment clear.

It was not a slight at Americans or the locals of the specific area.

It was a knock on Canadians who are often the least likely to show interest or expend effort on projects of this type. While the majority of paddlers on the easy access routes in Canada are Canadian the more "exotic" the locale the higher the proportion of foreign visitors.

I'm looking forward to this guide, the fact it might be partially compiled by an American in no way reduces it quality, usefulness or importance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2006, 9:52 am 

Wolverine made a couple calls and emails and the actual is you can order now but books do not ship till they recieve them......probably late February......
email train posted here:
http://www.yccc.ca/article.php?story=20061201101600912
looks like a good resource book for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2006, 10:44 am 

recped wrote:
OK obviously I didn't make the intent of my comment clear.

It was not a slight at Americans or the locals of the specific area.

It was a knock on Canadians who are often the least likely to show interest or expend effort on projects of this type. While the majority of paddlers on the easy access routes in Canada are Canadian the more "exotic" the locale the higher the proportion of foreign visitors.

I'm looking forward to this guide, the fact it might be partially compiled by an American in no way reduces it quality, usefulness or importance.

claws retracted!

It sounds like human nature. I think lots of people dont think about what treasures are in their back yard.

Most of us could make use of an emoticon with a foot in the mouth. Everyone makes those mixed messages from time to time.

I am looking forward to this too and putting in on my birthday list.
Sigh, I cant make it to WCS :cry: . New temporary job

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2006, 1:06 pm 

If there is any ting you guys should hav learned from FN people, it's that though you live in an area in somehting called a country or a nation, this is one continent, everyone who lives here is a North American, and that funny little line you people drew across the map, really doesn't have a lot of meaning accept to the lunatics in the homeland security office, and they are just doing it because it makes it look like they're doing a job and to convince people to pay them.

You are shaped by the land you inhabit. And many of us inhabit a landscape mentally, that is very different from where we live physically. We are all the children of Turtle Island.

Anyway, back to the book.

I wish I could order the book. Any book about places to canoe, with maps and pictures is a must on my list. I can't believe they didn't get it out for Christmas. By March, my trips are planned and the dreaming season is over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2006, 12:21 am 

Aren't you planning to be around next winter and the summer after that? There should still be time to dream...and for some of these trips perchance a year of planning would be wonderful in itself.

Love the rest of your comment!

Post subject: Price reduced
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 7:36 am 

Just learned on another bulletin board that it is being discounted at Amazon.com for $60 US

http://www.amazon.com/Canoe-Atlas-Littl ... F8&s=books

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 8:15 am 

For those who wish to badger the authors, both Tom Terry and Jon Berger will be at WCS 2007. But from my contacts with them, they are both really great people, so take it easy. Maybe thanks for documenting this part of paradise would be in order instead.
Yrs, gg

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 9:25 am 

hrmmm...

I've actually got a copy of this book. It was a research project by a university in the US at one point (Berkeley?), and I managed to download the entire thing from their website.

Its a good resource, and helped in planning my Wabakimi trip this past year.

When it was originally up on the web, it seemed like it would be a continually evolving work, with people able to contribute. Looks like in the year or so since the site has gone down and they've chosen to publish in book form that that will not be the case. A shame I think. I even attempted to contact the authors at one point, to contribute some information that I thought they could use... no response. Don't get me wrong, I think that there was definitely a stupendous amount of work put into it. It just seems to me that there should be a middle ground between free-online and expensive-paper-only-not-online-anymore.

One of the things that the project at the university originally stated, was that they wished for this information to be as widely disseminated as possible to avoid its loss. Indeed, the preface in my copy laments the loss of canoe route information over successive versions of the NRCAN maps of the area. Publishing a paper-only copy, that will not likely be revised as often, or not-at-all depending on how 'publishable' the book is, and the convienience of a few original authors, seems to go against all that IMHO.

I'm sure that they've probably made some changes from the early version I have, It will be interesting to compare. I'd be happy to post a sample page or two, but since the authors' attitude seems to have changed, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't be getting a call from an angry lawyer for doing so.

Cheers,
-ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 9:33 am 

I remember that website a couple of years ago. And you are saying this book is the outcome of that research?

Too bad, it's not online anymore.

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 11:31 am 

that's exactly what I'm saying. Both were the 'canoe atlas of the little north'.

I'm very glad I downloaded it when I had the chance.

I have however found a copy of the armstrong page, courtesy of the Internet Archive, so I'm not legally responsible for this tidbit.

you can find a ZIP file containg an example page from the atlas HERE
inside the zip is a PDF of the page.

Cheers,
-ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 11:49 am 

Here's the original discussion:

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... tlas+north

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 1:10 pm 

Nice stuff, I really like it as PDF, for ease of enlargement.....how did they accumulate all that info? I have lots of documentation for the area east of that map.but it is not info that is readily available......

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2007, 3:41 pm 

Rob:
Jon Berger and Tom Terry travelled that area over a period of 30 plus years. So it is mostly information they collected and wrote up as they went along.
Dr. Berger is an environmental scientist who was in academia prior to starting his own business. I suspect that Berkely became involved in the project as they had significant digital mapping resources that they were able to share with the authors.

Ben you could ask your questions of Dr. Berger directly by contacting him through the email address given here:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Reports/Sutton/bio.htm

Or if you are going to WCS this weekend, talk to him directly.