It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 3:40 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I'm new in here, but I'm a moderator on the outdoors magazine forum known for my bad english, various travels around the world, specially around rivers, and my incurable DIY addiction.

I'm currently in the Himalayas for 3 months of trekking, but I'm already working on my next project, and that involves the book about building your own Kevlar canoe I purchased last year.

My first question is about how good are the canoes plans described on the book? I mean if I'm going to spend time building, and then spend many weeks paddling one of those I better insure the plans are accepted by the ones with more experience than I: while I have good water experience on many sort of crafts, the only real canoe trip I've done is a 10 days descent of the Jejui: a forgotten river surrounded by jungle on a South American reserve. All the rest are rowing boats, rafts of diverse conceptions (last one a solo cataraft descent of the Ou river in Laos 5 months ago), and a few "canoes" made of my tarpaulin trap over branches frame...

I'll have many more questions over the next year, specially concerning the Canadian territories, and I hope there is good people around here to drop a hand as this is a project I've been thinking on (and training) for many years and I have a lot of things to sort out over the next year to make it happen.

Thanks a lot, looking forward more posts on those forums...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 3:55 pm 

Welcome to CCR!

Which book specifically are you going to be working from? That would help a lot with getting some input on the design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 4:02 pm 

Thanks,

Sorry, this one:

A multi week trip, one person per boat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 4:19 pm 

Taky, thats a help. If memory serves that book, process and the designs in it were covered here before but I'll have to do some digging to find the thread. Someone else may be able to track it faster.

I believe the design itself is kind of middle of the road but you could use the process on any stripper design you happen to like, there are tons of good ones available.

You might be our first Kiwi here on the forms........... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 4:36 pm 

Thanks, but not a real kiwi... an adopted one!

I've been digging thought old threads, but missed on that specific info. I supposed that "middle of the road", but unless I plug a well know commercial canoe, but due to my lack of experience it would be pretty hard to chose... This is why I try to ask people that paddle, and see a lot of canoes.

I think the main point is to make sure those plans are not rubbish, and will produce an decent canoe for a wilderness trip: I can imagine a lot of those have been build, and more than a few haven undertaken a decent trip: I hope someone in here has one of those!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2007, 5:29 pm 

Not specifically about the book and design you mentioned but I did find a thread that you may be interested in re: the building process.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?p=223558&highlight=foam+strip+epoxy#223558

I'll keep searching a little later today and post any links that may help out.

You'll likely get asked what kind of paddling you expect to do with the design to help narrow down a possible selection. If you're looking for a decent all-round design for wilderness paddling there are a few designs available as plans that would work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2007, 6:43 am 

A lot of reading those days... I like how the osprey sounds, and it may be easier to resale after the trip. The money spend ont he plans is probably money very well spend, specially considering the over all budget for all the trip.

I am, and I pack prety light, so capacity is enought for the trip, and I can always ask for an extra feet on my design to gain some extra capacity...

I still have two or three months to make a final call...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2007, 7:59 am 

I think this is the thread you were thinking about Kom...

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/view ... lar+canoes

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2007, 9:33 am 

That's the one Rob. Good job you are on the ball, I'm so buried in getting ready for the road that this slipped my mind......... sorry Taky. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 11:39 am 

Here is a website of one group of guys who build, and another discussion group where we discuss this method of construction in detail. I've built the tripper at 18.5 ft and the canoe is great, plus I'm quite proud of my creation. It works well as a flat water 2 or 3 person canoe. Don't build this canoe unless you have lots of time. If you want to save money just buy a Souris river from Kilarny Kanoes and you'll get well finished durable canoe for 1000 bucks. Oh yeah my canoe is 43 lbs.

http://www.myrabo.com/k-canoe/kevlar.htm

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KevlarCanoe/

Enjoy...

Post subject: kevlar builder
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 4:32 pm 

Here is the email of a fellow who has built 3 canoes from that book. His name is Arne

stonehollow@tds.net

...........O
......(___|/____)
.........../

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 5:56 pm 
Hi Taky.

Welcome to CCR. Hows life over on OMF?

3 months trekking sounds fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2007, 11:52 pm 

On a solo boat, I'd guess that you'd be able to build a cedar stripper to the same weight as one of these kevlar canoes. I'm tempted to recommend the new Bear Mnt. Freedom Solo as a canoe to look at. I don't know anyone that has built one, but I have the plans and the lines are fantastic. Plans were around $70 or so.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 9:03 am 

I have lifted a canoe off an old cedar stripe canoe that I used for a mould.
The methods described in the book are fairly accurate. I shrink wrapped the mould canoe, removal of shell was easy. Problem area is when closing in the ends keeping them straight, as well as not buckling. Problem solved by using a short end mould formed out of plywood, shrink wrapped then removed after each end was clamped. I could start today to lift another canoe off the shrink wrapped old one it was that easy.
As for the designs in the book they are what they are a nice solo, a stable family, a faster flat water tripper. The canoe design, hull shaped and finish are as individual as there are people putting paddles in the water. I have paddled a good number of canoes from bathtubs to 23 lb 18.6 racing shells, banana shaped white water to 32 ft voyagers. Every canoe has features good and bad the nice thing is to get out and enjoy a paddle.