It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 4:56 pm 

Hi all,

For those who might be interested I finally found some time to post some photo's on the internet of the "twin woodstrip Osprey" solo canoes which my brother and I have build over the last 2 years and which was finally finished in summer 2007.
See photo's on following link:
http://home.planet.nl/~vand8016/photo%20slideshows/Osprey%20launch/album/index.html

The 2 Ospreys are build with the Martin Step "No staple method" (see http://www.greenval.com/builders_notes.html). Hull is build using 5mm thick western Red Cedar, cut and routed bead & cove. Both canoes have tapered inner and outer stems in red cherry. Hull is covered with a full layer of 160 g/m2 (5,2 oz/yd2) E-glass on inside and outside, while the outside of the hull received an additional layer of glass over the football for abrassion. Kevlar tape is added over the stems to protect agains severe abrassion/damage during the wilderness trips for which this boat is build.
Outer hull is painted (3 coats) in Northpole White and English Green using a high quality 2 component polyurethane DD-paint. Inside of the hull has received several coats of clear 2 component polyurethane DD-paint. The white Osprey has walnut stained ash trim, with walnut decks and a walnut inlay in the gunnels (including Martin Steps "warp-around ends"). The Green Osprey has red cherry trim with walnut decks and a walnut inlay in the gunnels.
Canoe seats are made according Martin Steps designs (drawings available via http://www.greenval.com) with plastic cane.

Although both Ospreys were not build ultra light but were build for endurance during wilderness trips in Scandinavia, the final weight ended up at a verry acceptable level of exactely 23 kg. A removable deep dished Teal carrying yoke adds an additional 1,5 kg.

We took the "Twin Osprey" last authum on a 4 week wilderness trip to the mountains of central Sweden and Norway and they proved to be exceptional wilderness tripping canoes. The Ospreys behaved very well, and we're very pleased with the performance.
I plan to post a trip report and the beautifull pictures of this late authum trip soon.. I'll post a link on the CCR-forum for those who are interested.

Michel, The Netherlands

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 5:27 pm 

Very nice canoes Michel. You and your brother should be proud of those.

I like the green one. no the white one, no........ :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 8:00 pm 

BEAUTIFUL :clap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 6:23 am 

WOW
Another art project.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...."

Post subject: What can I say?
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 7:07 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 11:34 am 

Nice picture Dirk... that canoe does look very familiar to me... :lol:

Did you already decide to purchase/import an Osprey? Or are you having second thoughts?

Michel

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 11:44 am 
Michel vd Hoven wrote:
Nice picture Dirk... that canoe does look very familiar to me... :lol:

Did you already decide to purchase/import an Osprey? Or are you having second thoughts?

Michel

If I can find an opportunity, I will go to Austria this summer,
to visit Carintian Canoe Base http://members.aon.at/canoebase.at
to see if they have one for sale.
If they do, I will probably buy one.

Dirk