It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2008, 9:31 pm 

Quote:
use an exterior silicone as sealant

Silicone as in caulking? Where would you apply this sealant? Do you mean caulk the gaps in the hull?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2008, 9:43 pm 

There are areas where you will need a bedding compound, such as the bend around the bow and stern stems. You will need to cut the verolite and overlap it at that point. It is usual to lay in some kind of compound at this point of overlap.

Post subject: Bedding Compound
PostPosted: April 19th, 2008, 6:29 am 

As RHaslam mentions, the only place I can think of to use some bedding compound is on the stems at the seam, unless you are re-installing the keel, which also should be bedded. Don't fill the gaps in the hull, they are typical of wood and canvas canoes. The covering provides the waterproofing, not tight planking.

Some folks will butter up the stems with bedding compound before overlapping the covering at the stems. This may be an especially good idea for verolite if you are not painting it. With canvas covering, I won't typically bother buttering up the stem, but I will put extra canvas filler on the seam and I will also put plenty of paint there. Then I will butter up the stem before installing a brass stem band to protect the stem and canvas seam.

Here is a shot of the stem of an 18 foot Chestnut Prospector Voyageur I am finishing up. I don't have a decent picture of the overlapping process, but you slit the canvas up the middle of the fold, pull one flap over the stem and secure with tacks or stainless staples, and then overlap and secure the second flap. Butter the stem up first and then put a thin layer of bedding compound on the first flap before overlapping the second. Then use bedding compound underneath the brass stem band.

Good luck with your project and let us know how you make out with the verolite.

[img][img]http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/41129/2514235060054321892S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/img]