It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 6:10 pm 

I'm in.
And now I can go to the Adventure Show!
Thanks.

Paul
PS: Maybe two of us. If she doesn't get cold feet. Literally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 7:24 pm 

If I can get the time off from work I'd like to go and the dates Richard mentioned are fine with me.

I've never camped that far north in the winter and think it would be an interesting adventure.

Assuming I can make it, I'll be the fella with the sledfull of sleeping bags.

Signed, the Shivering Chihuahua.

Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tripper on 2002-11-06 19:25 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 7:38 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-11-06 19:24, Tripper wrote:
Assuming I can make it, I'll be the fella with the sledfull of sleeping bags.

Two sleeping bags should do you as long as they aren't too thin. Remember to include good underpads. I like to use 2 standard thermarests or a thermarest on top of a blue foam pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 7:48 pm 

Any bad day(s) campin', canoein', snoshoein' or just out fartin' around are better than a good day at work! I'm in for those dates. For those of us who have been thinking about the extra time I'm good for the 25th to the 2nd as well(Tuesday to Sunday) I think early for extra is better as it won't slopover into a 2nd week (of course we could get really wide and do the 22nd to 2nd!) Hope to have the fishing info early next week to post up for a couple of possible destinations to add to Joe's suggestions for the group.
Georgi, been up north to Timmins and Wawa/White River this week, snow everywhere!!!!

Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 8:23 pm 

The new dates are still good for me,thursday to sunday, so far just one, me.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 11:23 pm 

Smokey,

I just gotta say...

thanks!

I needed that.
Ahh, snow.

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 11:55 pm 

Well I guess we'll have lots of different types of snowshoes to try out and compare.

Skiis are great for day trips and even for hauling if you can stay out of thick bush. They and their support stuff weigh a bit though, and they're no good for camp work. When you're hauling, all you care about is weight. For day tripping from a base camp, yes, I'd bring a set. Since the snow is all unpacked though, you'll want the fattest backcountry skiis you can find.

As for sleds, I posted remarks on building one in the Winter Budd's Gathering thread. I've built many, of all kinds, and the easiest-pulling simplest rig I've found uses 2 old long downhill skiis as runners. I made 2 last year and tested them out on our Budd Car trip -- great units!

I'll dig out a topo map tomorrow and suggest some possible destinations we could choose from.

Nothing like poring over maps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 9:27 am 

A few questions:

Is there any info on the web for the Budd car and the general area we are going to as well, I'd like to have a heads up on ice fishing opportunities in the area and maybe contact the MNR for any info they might have as well.

Also, I am a safety conscious hunter, would anyone have an objection to me bringing a shotgun? We might be able to have fresh grouse or rabbit, which I know would be a treat. If anyone does not feel comfortable, please say so and I will leave it at home. Weight is also a consideration and I would also have to check open seasons etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 12:09 pm 

Sorry Eagle I don't think this is a good idea. I have absolutely nothing against hunting but I think this is not the time or place. It look like there is going to be quite a few people there.
That my feelings anyway.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 12:34 pm 

No problem, that's why I ask, my philosophy is even if it is only one person, I respect those wishes.

Unfortunately, it seems like I have to take the same approach to hunting as if it is like smoking indoors... LOL

It also takes 10 - 12 pounds off my load.

Does anyone have any other answers to my questions????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eagle on 2002-11-07 12:35 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 12:38 pm 

Eagle, am presently looking into fishing information through contacts in the local MNR districts. Mainly walleye, pike, lake trout and speckles throughout this area. Just getting a handle on which is where, will post info next week hopefully.
Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 12:44 pm 

I hope there is trout,

trout fried in garlic butter seasoned with lemon pepper and a touch of montreal steak spice gets you a gourmet meal in the bush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 4:17 pm 

There's no need for using a shotgun on a trout, there Eagle.

:wink:

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 9:03 am 

Hey Georgi, we all know you don't use a shotgun for trout, that's what dynamite is for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 3:47 pm 

Regarding straight-walled/prospector tents. I have been trying to find instructions or patterns for making one of these myself and so far I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone here know of a source?

I have been following this thread with great interest and although I would like to go, my chances of doing so are probably only about 1 in 10.

Bob

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next