It is currently March 19th, 2024, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2008, 12:34 pm 

Hey, folks.

I want to share the construction of a little pack canoe called Nymph but there is too much stuff and too many photos to include it all on a thread. Therefore, I started a blog about it. It will also occasionally contain other typical BK BS (hey, what do you expect, I'm too old to change) but it will attempt to document everything I have encountered and learned on the project. So far, all I can say is it has been an adventure and I have a new found respect for folks building with strip construction. It sure is a lot more work than I thought it would be.

Anyway, here is the link to the blog (called "Breakfast With BK" for reasons even I don't understand):

http://battenkiller.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 2:40 pm 

Bump to add the fact that "Part 2" has been put up on my canoe making blog. So far, only 25 views in total. Maybe I should have posted it in "Off topic". :lol:

Anyway, if no one is interested, I'll stop bumping it up. Don't really know how to reach folks here, this blogging thing is totally new to me.

There's always the Wooden Boat forum and WCHA, but this is a real cool canoe and I was hoping for more interest here than this has generated.

Should have made a Prospector. :doh: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2008, 6:01 pm 

Patience BK, me and my shot of Polish Wodka just found your blog and enjoyed the looksee.

My husband is a carpenter and I have all our retirement projects lined up already. :D

Nice shop equipment you have there. Like your wife I love working on wood projects in my husband's shop too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2008, 1:05 am 

Keep the posts coming although you may not need to bump here for each new addition. At the bottom of each blog page should be a link where people can subscribe and get posts automatically updated in their newsreader or browser. I've already subscribed...always nice to check out other people's improvisation techniques on the build. Smaller boats don't get the recognition they deserve in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2008, 6:31 pm 

I added you to my rss reader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2008, 6:33 pm 

One recommendation is to cut down the length of each post. I totally don't do this, but I notice that I read blogs more often that have shorter posts that happen more often vs. longer posts that happen once in a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2008, 6:41 pm 

ahem..you will be bringing your homework to Maine Canoe Symposium..no?

If so expect to be tailed constantly by my husband and make prints of your blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 5:43 am 

Hi BK,
Saddening to read about the eye injury, hope luck is on your side with the visit tomorrow.
Look forward to watching the build of the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 5:59 am 

Yes, very unfortunate about the eye. Last time I was stripping up white pine into 1/4 inch strips, one came shooting out of the table saw and flew thirty feet behind me and stuck straight into a wooden door, like an arrow. Scary stuff...I'm almost finished my latest creation, 18 1/2 foot J. Winters Quetico, I'm sure it won't look as nice as yours though. Good luck with the appointment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 2:02 pm 

I cut all my strips with a circular saw now and have avoided the arrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2008, 6:20 am 

Any news from your eye exam?
Being a metal worker and having spent seven years healing from an eye injury before full use was back I kind of understand where you are. But you took a much more massive hit that I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2008, 8:35 am 

Awetcanoe wrote:
Any news from your eye exam?
Being a metal worker and having spent seven years healing from an eye injury before full use was back I kind of understand where you are. But you took a much more massive hit that I did.

Thanks for asking, Charlie.

Wow, seven years, eh? Funny, the eye is as pretty sacrosanct thing. Injury to it often meant a quick demise for our ancestors. Nature didn't bother to evolve a faster fix. You were already out of the gene pool since the quicker healers never lived long enough to pass on their genes. Besides, our ancestors only had to deal with a stick or maybe a rock chip to the eye. A repair strategy that accounted for the metal and wood spitting behemoths of the future would have had to involve "intelligent design" and a crystal ball.

Dr. Richard Tipperman in Philadelphia is just about the nicest doctor I have ever met. He said that my chances for vision recovery are excellent and that the chances for a poor outcome were low. We scheduled my surgery for June 10. And then he threw out the bombshell.

There is a guy in Canada who has a new and even better fix for this injury. My guy could do the job... but the PART (capsular tension segment) isn't FDA approved yet!

I coulda been in a Michael Moore's movie "Sicko" if this happened a couple of years ago. :doh: :lol:

So now I gotta research this option to see if my insurance will pay for it. If it does, maybe I can combine a canoe trip in Canada with my recovery. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2008, 9:34 am 

That sounds wonderful.
The insurance will be an issue up north but they do have allot more freedom up there in the medical community. If you can find a way to swing it financially it may be a good thing.
I would expect when you start the consultation up there he will give you the pros and cons of what he has to offer before you travel for the first visit.
I was actually afraid to ask about your recent visit expecting it would not be a good prognosis but they sure have come a long way in reconstructing injuries.

Now if they would come up with a little pill that would keep they eyes flexible as we get older so we can live without the loss of near vision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 8th, 2008, 2:04 pm 

Awetcanoe wrote:
Now if they would come up with a little pill that would keep they eyes flexible as we get older so we can live without the loss of near vision.

Well, you're in luck... at least when you get old and your time comes for cataract surgery.

They now have a lens called Restore, which, when implanted into the eye, restores near vision as well as far vision to the elderly. Don't you wish you were old now? :doh:

Actually, this is already in use by some who seek vision correction via surgery. It is called "refractive lens exchange". I'm not a candidate for the Restore lens. If I was, I might consider having the other eye done as well and have 20/20 vision for the first time in my life.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsur ... change.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 12:19 pm 

Made a new blog update today:

http://battenkiller.blogspot.com/

Nothing else to do while the epoxy cures.

Oops... getting ahead of the story here. :oops: