It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 9:03 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Thank you.

I browsed my area of interest and was able to drill down to 1:50000 but I noticed that the resulting map didn't look like much my printed MNR map.

In fact, the images looked very much like my Mapsource TopoCanada map images.

I have the Softmap Plus on my computer and the maps look like scanned paper topos.

Is it still possible to purchase paper maps? It looks like printing one's own maps (whether off one's own hard drive or from the net) is the wave of the present.

I still like laying out a full sized paper maps of 1:250 000 scale for the general region and then select 1:50 000's for the details.

Days long gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 9:24 pm 

I'm pretty sure you can buy printed topos from a variety of sources.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'printed MNR maps', but those on the links posted here are scanned versions of the federal topo maps, as you can see by looking at the lower right corner.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 11:19 pm 

Quote:
Days long gone?

Anybody with a large format (plotter) printer can do it for you. Authorized NRC dealers will be doing just this, printing maps to order as the Feds will no longer supply paper versions.

Of course there is still a lot of old inventory out there for the less popular maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 6:27 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

I thought that decision was reversed after the public uproar over it?

Quote:
Purchasing an NRCan Map?

Customers are reminded that the Canada Map Office no longer distributes maps directly to the public. We recommend the purchase of National Topographic System maps, aeronautical charts, and National Atlas of Canada publications from any of over 900 map dealers across Canada, the United States and overseas.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/distribution_e.php

Canada shreds plan to scrap paper maps (October 12, 2006):
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... ffice.html

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm 

In 2008 maintaining a large inventory of pre-printed maps makes no sense at all. The "public uproar" was quite misplaced, I expect that most of those upset were under the erroneous impression that "closing the Canada Map Office" meant getting out of map CREATING field which is obviously not the case. Do you really think any government is going to stop providing mapping services when the major users are big resource companies who couldn't possibly afford to do it themselves :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 7:47 pm 

I'm either missing something or I need to learn more about orienteering and map reading but these online down-loadable and printable maps hardly gives one enough information to properly take bearings. Where are the grid lines for compass orienteering and the magnetic north correction arrows for declination adjustment?

If Canada Maps expects people to navigate with this information, I think the public uproar over scrapping of paper maps is justified.

I also visited the Garmin site to see their topos and they don't look any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2008, 9:11 pm 

Quote:
I'm either missing something

Not sure where you are downloading from but from this source you get exact scans of the original paper maps, 100% identical.

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2008, 10:17 am 

recped wrote:
Quote:
I'm either missing something

Not sure where you are downloading from but from this source you get exact scans of the original paper maps, 100% identical.

http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/

That looks more like it. I was previously looking at this site:
Barbara wrote:
Overview....
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map

Quite fast and easy.

Barbara

But shouldn't there be something in-between so that people like me can print letter-size maps with all the information (grids, declination, UTM, Lat/Long etc) as the original paper maps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 10:40 am 

The wave of the present is for us all to simply purchase, province by province, DVDs with all of the MNR 1:250 000's and 1:50 000's scanned. Easy to use software, links to Google Earth, route planning tools, GPS interactivity etc. etc. is exactly what I use now for the Adirondacks. When we plan off-trail hiking routes we e-mail the files back and forth with color coded routes drawn in, comments, photos and links to trip reports embedded directly in the file. Fine for off-trail day-hikes but what about a 4 week canoe trip?

Here's what I did for a region North of Montreal:

Using the link provided to me in this thread I went on line and purchased 2 topo maps for a park North of Montreal. I had them in my hand 24 hours later for a $6 postage fee. Until I get a 60 inch computer monitor I still like to unroll both a 1:250 and a 1:50 on a table and examine them side by side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 11:14 am 

With respect Neil, I think that is the 'wave of the past'. I think for the present and future the way for many of us is to print out the relevant excerpts of the federal on-line topos unto 8 1/2 by 11 sheets. That what I plan to do for our west coast trip rather than purchase CDs for BC and Alberta.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 1:19 pm 

How easy is it to print out maps on to 8.5 by 11 inch sheets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 1:24 pm 

wotrock wrote:
With respect Neil, I think that is the 'wave of the past'. I think for the present and future the way for many of us is to print out the relevant excerpts of the federal on-line topos unto 8 1/2 by 11 sheets. That what I plan to do for our west coast trip rather than purchase CDs for BC and Alberta.
Yeah, I have been printing my own sheets for some time now but I prefer having the mapset on my hard drive and don't mind paying for it. Even with higher speed connections I prefer seamless scrolling. Also, I know I am pretty so-so with regard to on-line mapping skills but I found the maps I viewed after following the links posted by Barbara to be nothing like the MNR printed topos or the ones in my Softmap Plus software. They looked more like the ones I use to load into my mapping GPS Ie. Garmin Mapsource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:12 pm 

hikerneil wrote:
Yeah, I have been printing my own sheets for some time now ....

Do they have gridlines and adequate information for compass bearings? If you get lost using one of these 8x11 printouts, won't the authorities claim you were negligent wandering around without the proper information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:25 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

hikerneil wrote:
They looked more like the ones I use to load into my mapping GPS Ie. Garmin Mapsource.

I've meant to ask this for a long time, and keep forgetting:

Where does Garmin get their data for their maps? Are they not based on Canadian topo maps?

I've never seen the Garmin Mapsource stuff. Just the one sample map on their site.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:34 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Where does Garmin get their data for their maps?
They make it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next