It is currently October 15th, 2019, 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Canoe Poling Film
PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 1:40 pm 

Quote:
While I'm there I'll check out what kind of couplings they carry that might be used to sleeve two poles together.

Kayak paddle ferrules will work.........

http://www.greyowlpaddles.com/pages/accessories.html

I suspect Grey Owl isn't the only paddle company that sells these as an accessory but they were the first that came to mind.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 4:10 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
I'm going to be spending four days on Cape Cod Bay instead of my traditional trip to the Dacks on Columbus Day weekend.

Stripers? Sea-run brookies on the Quashnet or Red Brook?

My best afternoon ever for stripers was on Nauset Beach in October. Huge shoals of sand eels were on the beach front, with stripers, bluefish and gray seals behind them and feeding hard. Gulls and terns like a Hitchcock movie were working the beach edge. When a big swell rose up with the sun behind it, you could see the bluefish and stripers swimming as if they were in an illuminated aquarium.

Wading in the surf wash with the gray seals feeding just beyond us in chest deep water was kind of spooky, and really really cool.

I would think a poled canoe would be a great way to chase stripers on the flats where it's more protected.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 4:29 pm 

native brookie wrote:
Battenkiller wrote:
I'm going to be spending four days on Cape Cod Bay instead of my traditional trip to the Dacks on Columbus Day weekend.

Stripers? Sea-run brookies on the Quashnet or Red Brook?

My best afternoon ever for stripers was on Nauset Beach in October. Huge shoals of sand eels were on the beach front, with stripers, bluefish and gray seals behind them and feeding hard. Gulls and terns like a Hitchcock movie were working the beach edge. When a big swell rose up with the sun behind it, you could see the bluefish and stripers swimming as if they were in an illuminated aquarium.

Wading in the surf wash with the gray seals feeding just beyond us in chest deep water was kind of spooky, and really really cool.

I would think a poled canoe would be a great way to chase stripers on the flats where it's more protected.

Oh, yeah... big stripers. At least that's what the reports say. Only they're blitzing off Race Point now, so maybe I won't even get in a canoe. What with the winds they're predicting, I don't think anybody except the most experienced sea kayakers should have anything to do with that surf.

Nauset is always a good bet in the fall. Sand eels during the day, live eels during the night. I like Nauset because it's so steep. The big guys come right up into the foam. Those damn seals, though. Never had a good day fishing for stripers when they're around. I've seen big chopper blues busting the surface without a care in the world when the seals are around. Pays to have a set of formidable teeth.

If we don't have any luck at the Race, we'll scoot over to Heering Cove and toss the canoe in there if conditions aren't too bad. I hate to fish from it, but it's a real good way to chase down those distant birds that are working over the blitzing fish. I've chased them by foot before and watched the blitz move along at the same speed I was jogging at. Very frustrating, not to mention totally exhausting.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 10:00 pm 

The reason I ask about a two piece pole is that I'm kinda tall, 6'2", my reach, feet flat on the floor, one hand up, is exactly 8'. I'm thing that when pushing back, I'd like a 14' pole and not a 12' pole. The other advantage is that I'll have two, albeit hefty, hiking poles to walk with, both abut 7' tall.

One thought I had was whether or not a connection similar to a pool cue could work. I'll have to give this a try and report my findings.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 7:46 pm 

I don't know about a two-piece pole, unless you can find some way to not lose strength at the ferrule. An awful lot of stress gets put on a pole, with a lot of flex that would put some kind of load on any possible hinge point.

BK, enjoy the stripers if the weather cooperates. Judging by the forecast here, though, I think you are going to get some blow. I'm waiting for that wind shift to the NW and then heading out to look for the ducks riding it south. :)

Based on the lack of stripers here this year, it's hard to believe they are abundant anywhere. But the few fish that reached Maine this year were all good sized--mostly 28 inches plus.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 9:50 pm 

I started poling about a year ago and found that the easiest pole to make was one made out of a 10 to 12 ft aluminum pole purchased at a pool cleaning supply place. My method was to first get a can of yellow foam insulation and shoot the foam up both ends of the pole so as to keep water out. If sealed, the pole will float. You will need to leave space at the end of the pole to attach the rod which will be used as a point. In my case I used 3/8 inch all-thread rod. I cut a 6 inch section of the rod and then used a 3/8 inner diameter by 1 ¼ fender washer which was the same diameter as the pole and would help seal the end. On the other side of the all-thread rod I just attached a bunch of stuff that would provide something for the JB Weld putty to stick to. The following photo is of the fabricated rod (the part from 0 to 2 ¾ inches sticks out of the pole and I also tapered down this end tip with a grinder and this is not shown in the photo). I sanded down and cleaned the inside 3 inches of the pole and I then applied about a whole package of JB Weld all around the inside part of each fabricated part and then pushed it into the end of the pole up to the fender washer. Be sure to use more than enough JB Weld as if you use too little you can’t go back to add more and all you have is a mess.

Considering that this thread started with regard to a poling video, the following videos are of me using the pole last month on the Green River in Wyoming near the Green River Lakes and Square Top Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lloydbthree ... i_IDl23Zqk
http://www.youtube.com/user/lloydbthree ... Ts7wehSgMo

Attachments:
Pole-tip-design-small.jpg
Pole-tip-design-small.jpg [ 12.91 KiB | Viewed 1034 times ]

Last edited by lebthree on October 22nd, 2009, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2009, 9:46 am 

Nice videos! Just gorgeous terrain out there. :D

I really dig the sound tracks as well. Who is it, if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2009, 7:40 pm 

Battenkiller wrote:
I really dig the sound tracks as well. Who is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all. It is "In a Distant Place" see: http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Place-R-C ... B000050HY1