It is currently October 22nd, 2020, 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 2:22 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Algonquin Eco Watch released a book entitled Algonquin Park: the human impact in October 2009. The entire contents of the book may be viewed by clicking on the above link. Hard cover copies of this book may be purchased for $39.95 (Can.) plus shipping, through OJ Graphix at http://www.ojgraphix.com/ecowatch/

http://www.algonquin-eco-watch.com/
http://www.ojgraphix.com/ecowatch/

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 11:00 am 

Thanks for providing this info, Barbara... lots of interesting details and reading off and on during the next several days.

It's a mystery to me why so few CCR's are looking at this (only a dozen clicks) since so many visit the park. Maybe I need to take a hint - with me droning on about some natural feature on the trail or around the campfire, even the bears fall asleep.

Singing around the campfire would be more appropriate for bringing more people in... Harold from Red Green would be good.

:D

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 11:31 am 

wow 400 pages to read...I saved the book as a file..

We can form a book club with this...give a week to do the reading then discuss..

That might be a good way to pass the winter.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 9:57 am 

I'm all for discussion of the book after reading... another night spent reading late, with some surprising findings showing up.

Too much to cover here, still, earlier on I knew that hemlocks were not regenerating in the park as well as they would under natural, unlogged conditions. Research quoted in the AEW book suggests that most hemlock stands will now be over a hundred years old, since logging began (since it began about a hundred years ago), preventing young hemlocks from being established.

Hemlock stands are probably some of the oldest old growth in the park, along with yellow birch and the white pines scattered throughout maple forests (another interesting detail was that the Big Crow old growth pines in the large reserve running east of Big Crow lake were protected in the thirties when it was becoming apparent that selective logging was eliminating the large old pines growing through deciduous forest on the west side).

This what a hemlock stand looks like, if I'm not making any sense... fairly spectacular, dark, moist, with little undergrowth creating open forest underneath.... from the McElroy's website taken on a roadside trail. Hemlocks can be found along portages on the west side, especially those that run near streams and moist hillsides.

http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20061122.shtml

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 12:34 pm 

Hemlock stands in Algonquin you say... that sounds like Stan Vasiliauskas's work from a few years back. I'll have to check that out.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 12:10 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
It's a mystery to me why so few CCR's are looking at this (only a dozen clicks) since so many visit the park. Maybe I need to take a hint - with me droning on about some natural feature on the trail or around the campfire, even the bears fall asleep......

It ain't you, it's a bug in the software of something like that: only people that are logged in see that there is activity in the Media forum. It happens to the other topics as well. I am suffering from the same succotash with some other interesting postings. :roll:

PostPosted: November 13th, 2009, 12:11 pm 

I love hemlock groves - they are apt settings for fairy tales!