It is currently August 18th, 2019, 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 12:06 pm 

Hello paddlers,

I am looking to draw on your knowledge. Trying to plan a trip this summer (June/July) for a group of 6-8. Ideally, we are looking for a 3 day stretch of river suitable for open canoes (Grade I - II). Does that exists? I can find it via google.

If that doesn't exist. Where would you recommend a camp site with multiple 1 or 2 day stretches? We are all experienced outdoors people, just limited experience in canoes and do not want to get in over our heads.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 5:11 pm 

There are several possibilities. It is a large --- a huge Province. Do you have a specific region in mind?

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 2:17 am 

The Thompson or Nechako are two that come to mind.

Late June and July is high water with very cold water.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 1:56 pm 

No specific region in mind at this point. We are in the Lower Mainland so within a days drive proximity is probably realistic.

I did come across the Thompson in my search, but nothing really definitive on a suitable trip.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming on put ins/take outs would be welcome.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 7:03 pm 

OK,
In the South East you have the Kootenay and Columbia. On the Columbia you can put in at Invermere and take out at Golden or any number of spots along the way. You want to go before or after high water which peaks in June. Bugs are definately an issue
in July and late August would be better but no guarantee. Last year the bugs were rancid until the first frost. The Columbia is a float. Good camping. Good scenery. Traffic noise but you can take the western channels to alleviate this somewhat. The Kootenay is faster and you need some skills to avoid strainers but there are no real difficulties in the lower reaches. You could put in at Canal Flats and take out at Ft. Steele in three days or Wardner in four. Good camping and scenery. From Wasa down to Ft. Steele it is slow and mellow. From Ft. Steele down it picks up speed. No rapids, but watch for trees. Strong upstream winds from noon on most days. Again high water is in June and you don't want that. Bugs can be an issue but not always. Neither of these routes are remote but offer good paddling in one of the world's greatest ditches --- the Rocky Mountain Trench.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 8:27 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Does the info under the British Columbia Routes provide any help?

http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/bc.htm

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 1:59 am 

Camping trips on rivers aren't really a strength of the Lower Mainland, especially in June!

Try the Kettle River near Grand Forks. Maybe parts of the Similkameen too, though I'm not sure about access points.

You may also want to look into the Beaver Canoe Club if you're into more river canoeing (or some cheap lessons):
https://picasaweb.google.com/Beaver.Canoe.Club

There's a family camping trip on the Kettle every July, but unfortunately we don't have a photo albulm for it.

More info in our monthly newsletters:
http://www.beavercanoeclub.org/

Pat.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 4:13 pm 

The Kettle River looks like it has potential to be a winner.