It is currently August 21st, 2019, 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 2:12 am 

About a month ago, a group of friends started planning a canoe trip up Sechelt Inlet. I had hiked with and met many of them but this was my first time canoeing with these great people. I knew it was going to be fun and have been looking forward to it since I was invited.
We boarded the first ferry of the Saturday morning from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale so that we could hit the morning calm waters.

We set off from Tillicum Bay, just north of Porpoise Bay. A light breeze and a little drizzle didn't hamper us from our destination: Nine Mile Point.
Attachment:
File comment: Frenchie at the bow
Sechelt_001.jpg
Sechelt_001.jpg [ 271.76 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

The wind picked up a bit and it rained a little harder, but still enjoyed the trip passing along a few homes, a couple oyster farms, and on to just wilderness.
We easily made our destination, set up our respective campsites, and relaxed in the very variable weather. I noticed a couple of strange looking birds, and they turned out to be Ancient Murrelets.
Attachment:
Sechelt_035.jpg
Sechelt_035.jpg [ 131.09 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Sue, Brian & Marc
Sechelt_009.jpg
Sechelt_009.jpg [ 334.25 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: DW2
Sechelt_027.jpg
Sechelt_027.jpg [ 324.56 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

The weather forbade us from any more paddling that day and well into the next morning. While exploring the campsite, I found an old skidder trail in behind it. Everyone needed some excersize and something to do while we waited for the wind to die down, so we hiked up it until we found a much more modern logging road. Along the road were several piles of fresh bear scat. We did eventually find the owner of such piles and it was a black bear not more than five years old. Also along the way we found elk tracks.
Attachment:
File comment: 130m climb
Sechelt_038.jpg
Sechelt_038.jpg [ 473.37 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

We found that the trail went around Nine Mile Point and ended at a log dump booming ground set at the mouth of Salmon Inlet. We had great views up Sechelt and Salmon Inlets, despite the weather.
Attachment:
File comment: Salmon Inlet
Sechelt_074.jpg
Sechelt_074.jpg [ 299.15 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

I had been dualy warned that crossing Salmon Inlet can only be attempted under optimal conditions and you must be well prepared for sudden gusts of wind. Its a treacherous site where two inlets meet at 90* angles to each other and it's a long crossing.

When we came back we found Marc fishing and the wind had died. After dinner with the sun setting Christelle and I grabbed our canoe and went out for a glassy water evening paddle. It wasn't long when we heard something disturb the water, and when we looked we found a small pod of porpoises catching their dinner! The water lay dark and silent for several minutes and then the sound of the tiny blow hole exhaled, burst the calm! A seal too, stopped by to join the hunt.

Early the next morning we caffinated and fed our bodies, packed up our gear and set off for home. We passed by a bay filled with jellyfish. Several were probably injured as we J stroked our way through them.
Attachment:
Sechelt_118.jpg
Sechelt_118.jpg [ 187.03 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
Attachment:
Sechelt_143.jpg
Sechelt_143.jpg [ 410.36 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]
Attachment:
Sechelt_146.jpg
Sechelt_146.jpg [ 349.35 KiB | Viewed 3998 times ]

We reached our vehicles in pleasant conditions and without any circumstances. It was a great trip with great riends, and I am looking forward to many more with this great group of people! :D

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 9:25 am 

Great pics and report! Love the area.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 6:46 pm 

It was a great weekend and a really enjoyable little paddle. Definitely a place I'll be returning to.
I didn't take many pictures but I've posted them here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shiftlessb ... 678519259/

PostPosted: May 30th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the TR. :clap:
It's great to get back out on the water.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 6:50 am 

Thanks for the pics and trip report. You've managed to get me interested in flatwater again :).