It is currently October 16th, 2019, 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 3:34 pm 

Posted Some Facebook Pics of CK
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 88abacd1a1

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 2:09 pm 

Thank you for bringing back memories from youth! Camp Kapitachuan ran a 20 day trip for a bunch of us who were from a camp in Maine.We took the train from Quebec City for what was many hours and drop by side of track at camp.We had very stern counselors(thankful in hindsight) who got us thru the trip,probaley the easiest trip.I remember that curvey river,camp with a large fish head,moose,carrying canoes long ways,breaking open a green canoe in rapids.We were just young kids from USA East Coast! I look back and really appreciate the experience and how fortunate I was.I am amazed I found a thread that remembers this Camp too. Camp kept me out of trouble during these years. I want to thank Mr Beede(RIP) and the three "crazy" counselors that showed a young punk kid some beautiful wilderness. Also must thank my Dad(Rip) for giving me this opportunity! Thanks,Ralph

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:12 am 

Nice to hear from another person who as a youngster enjoyed the camp, the people and the wilderness North of Kapitachuan.

Glad to hear that your experiences there helped in some shape you into adulthood.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 9:28 am 

Thank- you very much Gerald! These experiences absolutely are treasured by me. I was and still can be very hardheaded. I was a Brat and these experiences good and bad shaped me.I can not believe I carried a canoe long distances! Paddled many miles,rapids, wanigans filled with food rations. I remember the sense of accomplishment finishing this trip! :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 10:42 am 

nice to hear from you, ralph. i posted an earlier reply, which you can read by reviewing the entire camp kapitachouan thread. during my tenure there as a councellor and trip leader, i was one of the "stern" counsellors who lead the boys from camp kieve (i assume that was the camp in maine you referenced). i led a trip from kieve down the eagle river in august of 1975. coincidently, that was the last summer i worked for camp kapitachouan, and, indeed, was the last time i canoed in the canadian wilderness. i have kept in touch with the two founding directors of the camp (rod beebe and carl williams) along with their families. rod passed away in the late 1990's, but carl is still alive and well, living in lakeville, ct. he just celebrated his 90th birthday last december, and his entire family, along with many of the beebe clan and assorted ck alums (myself included) joined him and his wife ibby at his home. he had some major health issues this spring, culminating in an operation, but he has made an impressive recovery. i recently paid him a visit, and we shared some war stories and a few laughs. i'm curious, ralph...when were you up at ck with camp kieve? do you remember what summer it was?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 1:21 pm 

I guess my trip was 1971 or 1972......long ago,sadly lost camp journels.Read online that Camp Kieve is very much alive.Don't do trips in Canada anymore.When I say "stern",I did not mean to infer anything bad.......I felt it was rugged. I am sure it was the easiest trip but not for our group!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 11:57 am 

don't worry, i didn't take "stern" the wrong way. camp kapitachouan usually had 3 to 4 trips each month in july and august, consisting of "a", "b", and "c" trips. the youngest, most inexperienced boys (12-14 yrs old) were usually on the "c" trips, 14-15 yr olds made up the "b" trips, and the "a" trips were for the oldest group(16-18 yr olds). each trip was 25-26 days; however kieve always sent their group up in early august and could only stay for 18-20 days, so they usually went on the kapitachouan river trip (the only trip from base camp on lake choiseul that was entirely run to the south. the cap river is a good river with many fun rapids. we departed the river after 7-8 days and portaged into camachigama lake and then up the camachigama river, eventually looping back to our base camp on lake choiseul. this route was similar to many of the routes we took to the north with the "b" trips. there were a couple of other options for the kieve group, and it usually depended on how experienced the boys were.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 9:32 am 

Thank-you for telling me where I was over 40 years ago! I would definately say we did the "a" trip! We weren't what you call "experienced" though we had done the Allagash Waterway in Maine,I believe the same summer. I know the whole two months with Kieve was a couple hundred dollars.That was alot of money(folks always argued about money) but ....imagine what all this would cost today! Again Thank-You,Thank-You Dad and Mom,I was given such a wonderful opportunity! These memories invigorate me to do good for others today! :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:53 pm 

Mhinckley, I suspect we know each other. I was a med councellor at CK from 1970 to '73, four summers. In '72 and '73 I went on the Rupert trips with Carl Williams. On the last trip Carl's son Doug went, as did Rod's son Rod. Best summers of my life. I went to visit Carl in Salsibury CT two summers ago. He was still going strong, still repairing the wood and canvas canoes. I saw his personal single ribbed canoe that he used on all the trips. I led a group of 6 guys on a repeat of the 1972 Rupert - Marten trip in 1979, and things had changed quite a bit in those few years. In '79 we took out at the bridge that was then being built over the Rupert, shich of course wasn't there in '72 or '73. Perhaps you and I tripped together -- I'll have to check my old trip reports. In '71, my second year, I led a trip of the younger kids. Great memories.

Funny story: In the early 90's I was fishing in Alaska at a fly out camp. There was a float plane mechanic at the lodge, and we were fishing together one day. I began to describe my experiences at CK, and we discoverd that not only was he a camper at CK in the 70's, but he was my bowman on one of my trips!! Small world! He told me that he enjoyed his time in the bush so much that he wanted to spend as much time as possible in the northwoods, so he became a float plane mechanic, knowing that they are always in short supply and he could always get a job in the bush.

e-mail me: kevin.hagan@vanderbilt.edu

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 1:14 pm 

I wanted to clarify(now that I patiently read posts) that I was on the "C'" trip(easiest) with the group from Kieve. I have greater respect for allumni of Camp Kapitachuan especially the hard trips.I have found video of the Rupert River WHOA! Again many thanks for creating this site. Does anybody remember the largest Northern Pike skull at the cabins not far from Camp Kapitachuan base camp(days paddle) ?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 1:41 pm 

ralph,
i don't remember the northern pike skull you refer to, but it sounds like you saw it at the south camp of camp kapitachouane. the main camp is located on lake choiseul, about 4 miles south of the cnr train tracks. the south camp is located on lake capitachouane (don't ask me why the lake and river are spelled with a "c" and the camp is spelled with a "k"...i've never heard the answer), about 12 miles southwest of lake choiseul. to get there one must paddle the length of crooked creek, which extends from the western edge of choiseul to the northern edge of lake capitachouane, and which has some 125 hairpin turns. if you went there during your time at the camp, your trip most likely took the southern, capitachouane river route. the cap river is a good trip with many good, fun rapids. after a few days on that river, the route leaves the cap river and eventually portages into lake camachigamau and then paddles up the camachigamau river, eventually returning to lake capitachouan and then lake choiseul. i seem to remember it as a 16-day trip.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 2:45 pm 

Hello---You brought me back 40 years! I remember crooked river!. Probabley at the cabins you described. Thank you for your faithful memory of those years! We sure were fortunate!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm 

A story about the south camp: At the end of the camp season in August of 1973 I invited a couple of fishing buddies to join me for a week of fishing, and Carl and Rod let us use the south camp. There were two cabins there. We were staying in one cabin and when we came back one day after fishing the cabin had been broken into and the food ransacked. The clue was that there was an open can of Crisco which had been scooped out with a huge bear claw marks. That night, we were awoken by a bear pawing through the screen window and scooping cans of food off the shelf. We had to keep a Coleman lanturn lit for the rest of the night to prevent the bear from returning. The next day Carl came to camp to do some work. That night, we all slept in the other cabin just to be on the safe side. In the middle of the night, we heard a commotion in the first cabin, and determined that the bear had returned and was inside the first cabin. Carl decided to scare the bear out of the cabin with a chain saw. He fired the saw up, and when the bear heard it he went wild, smashing around the cabin and eventually jumping out a window. Unfortunately his belly got stuck on the window sill, and I can still picture him hanging halfway out the window thrashing from side to side trying to get out! the next morning we surveyed the damage, and the bear, in his panic, had moved the cast iron stove about three feet. We left that day so I never knew if he came back again. I've got pictures of this somewhere.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 10:31 am 

still in close contact with the sigouin family,who leased what we called southcamp ( 5 miles south of the railroad ) to rod beebe and carl williams. the sigouin family built it initially and still own it. they sold the north camp (20 miles north of the railroad ) about 10 yrs.ago to another canadian family. my-self and the savage family represent 3 generations at camp kapitachuan. great memories for us all. i can provide contact info. if anyone is interrested

dennis murnane

PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 3:11 pm 

hi megiscane,

i've been contributing to this string of posts for a year now...nice to have you aboard. when were you a camper at ck?

mark hinckley (smarkhinckley@hotmail.com)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next