It is currently October 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 1:06 pm 

Along with Tania spent a day canoeing the Squamish River from Ashlu Bridge to the Estuary in Squamish. With an over night camp on the river so I could try my hand at doing some salmon fishing. Didn't keep any but had a great time catching them and watching them along the banks.
Conditions on the river were fantastic, best I've ever seen. Sweepers and deadheads all over the place in the first 1/4 of the paddle but all of them were easily avoidable. River was a Class 1 (maybe 1+) all the way, and we never saw another boat the whole way down.
All in all, just over 50kms from the put-in to the take out. Including a 30 minute lunch break and time spent drifting and taking pictures we were 4 hours doing the run.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/65009403@N03/sets/72157627597395933/show/

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 2:06 pm 

Marc,
Great pictures! Thanks. What kind of salmon are those?
Ralph

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 2:37 pm 

Those are Coho, the run was on. Kind of had a smelly fish graveyard smell down along the water but it faded fast and wasn't noticeable from where the tent was set up.
Surprisingly no signs of bear around where we were, though there were definite signs where we stopped to have lunch.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 7:30 am 

Great pics,but where are the eagles?
maybe too early
I lived in whistler for a year and can remember seeing upwards of 50 eagles just driving through squamish

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 7:35 am 

We saw maybe 6 eagles on the whole run. I was kind of surprised, I thought there'd be more but it was pretty early in the run so they may not have arrived yet.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 12:01 pm 

I've done that same run a little later in the year and there were tons of eagles.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 2:46 pm 

Very nice. To clarify Ralph's question, those look like two salmon species. The dead ones look like humpys or pinks. Nice catch of coho, Marc.