It is currently December 14th, 2019, 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 30th, 2012, 10:04 pm 

I just got back from a trip on the Athabasca River. We started north of the hamlet of Obed and paddled to the Berland bridge over the weekend of April 27 to April 29.
We started north of Obed in the late afternoon of April 27 and just ferried across the river to our first campsite.

This is our first view of the Athabasca River north of Obed on April 27, 2012.
The river was higher with a little less ice along the shores than in previous years.

Our first campsite on the north side of the river at the site of the former Obed ferry landing.

Packing up on Saturday morning.

Tricky landings in places.

Lunch at Oldman Creek below the Emerson Lakes bridge on Saturday, April 28, 2012.

View across the river at lunch.

Saturday night campsite.

View looking upstream from our Saturday night campsite.

Rain and soft hail at lunch on Sunday.

Looking upstream from Sunday's lunch spot.

Looking downstream from Sunday's lunch spot.

Good trip, good company, good weather, river was fast with some wave trains in places.

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph on May 2nd, 2012, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 1:20 am 

How wonderful that you were out. It is a nice stretch to do.
It's just a little more exciting when paddling
with ice along the shoreline!....isn't it?

Later Laura

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 2:05 am 

Thanks for the TR Ralph. :clap:

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 12:23 pm 

Thanks!
Yes, Laura, the stakes are higher when there is ice along the shore. In some places it went for hundreds of metres which would make it difficult to get ashore in the case of a swim. Makes one want to be very careful and to not do anything that could increase the risk of a swim.
Ralph

PostPosted: August 16th, 2013, 10:02 am 

Just wondering how you accessed the river.
Toporama shows a road heading north from Obed but stopping short of the river.
BTW, thanks for the great report!

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm 

Allan,
You are correct - the road doesn't go all the way to the river. It's one of those places where you have to know where to go but I'll try to explain. You go down the road north of Obed to McPhee's Gravel Pit. You then travel across the gravel pit to the NE part and there is a bush road that continues down to the river. It would be good to have a high-clearance vehicle and, in bad weather, all-wheel or 4-wheel drive. Evidently, the bush road is the remnant of a road that went down to the old Obed Ferry crossing. We used to camp at the relatively flat area on the north side of the river at the old ferry landing. Unfortunately, ATVs and others figured out a way to get to that place, too, so we have changed our camping spot to an island a little upstream from the old ferry crossing.

An alternate would be to go further west on Highway 16 until you come to the turn-off for Obed Mountain Coal. Drive north on that road until you come to the bridge over the Athabasca River. I believe that the bridge is a private bridge but I'm not absolutely sure about that. Anyway - I have been told by a friend that you can make your way to the base of the bridge on the south side of the river and then launch from there.
Hope that helps,
Ralph

Allan,
I just decided to have a look on Google Earth and it shows the road going north of Obed and then into the gravel pit. If you go to the NE corner of the gravel pit, you can see a trace of the bush road. It looks to be about 2.3 km from the gravel pit to the river. When I was there in the spring, the road would have been OK for my minivan but it would have been a little tricky in places.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2014, 12:38 pm 

Thank You too Ralph.
It's pics like this that make a man want to do these things. I've seen yours quite a few different times over the last few months or so. Looks like it would have been a nice trip.